Sick Pyramid Butterfly

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 2x pyramid butterfly fish almost a month ago they had been doing fine eating great til this morning now this 1 is acting weird swimming weird and not wanting to eat its almost as if he has trouble staying afloat none of the other fish are acting any differently and they all ate except him i have a cycled QT i can put him in what should i do? last thing i added to the tank was snails and 2 cleaner shrimp 8-10 days ago

tanks been up for 4 months other inhabitants are a tomato clown,one spot foxface,coral beauty angelfish, lyretail anthias, and 2 pyramid butterfly fish
ammonia 0.0
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 5
temp 77
ph 8.2

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you QT when you originally bought him? Right now I wouldn't move him to a QT. He seems really thin and probably would be even more stressed by the move. What are you feeding and has he been eating well since you got him? I hope he pulls through!

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the video it looks like he is swimming into flow, and I believe I see a fine dusting on his face. That's indicative of velvet. He also looks a bit thin. I would pull him, do a freshwater dip, and medicated QT. Even though other fish aren't showing symptoms they will need to be treated as well. Unfortunately the more sensitive fish typically need medicated QT more so than hardy fish.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Oodinium to me unfortunately :(

Anyway you can remove? do you have a QT setup?
yes i have a cycled QT i keep running but if its velvet why is he the only fish acting this way? and yes both of them eat like pigs thats the reason today i noticed something wasnt right because he didnt eat

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i have a cycled QT i keep running but if its velvet why is he the only fish acting this way? and yes both of them eat like pigs thats the reason today i noticed something wasnt right because he didnt eat

It hasn't spread or not visible on the other fish.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Established fish in the aquarium arent going through a period of stress like this new addition is, their going to be more resilient than a fish that is in transition and stressed, immune function possibly compromised etc etc

That doesn't mean other fish are safe, Oodinium is very virulent and can make fish succumb pretty rapidly.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can work, I prefer chloroquine phosphate but is hard to acquire. I would freshwater dip before adding to QT. That will kill many parasites and hopefully the fish will start eating again.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper can work, I prefer chloroquine phosphate but is hard to acquire. I would freshwater dip before adding to QT. That will kill many parasites and hopefully the fish will start eating again.

^^^this,
Also make sure you get a copper test kit so you dont overshoot. Butterfly's are one of the fish groups fairly copper sensitive if I remember correctly.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^this,
Also make sure you get a copper test kit so you dont overshoot. Butterfly's are one of the fish groups fairly copper sensitive if I remember correctly.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back