OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im going to treat this fish for now and see what happens with the rest of the fish if they start showing any symptoms ill pull them into the QT as well im not 100% sure this fish has velvet just yet i would hate to pull all the fish and it not be velvet or ich cause that would be a pain. not saying you guys dont know what your talking about because im sure you do. ill keep this thread updated as i go along

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of experience with pyramids .... hard to tell if that ‘dusting’ on the brown face is normal or not. Mine have that look at the right angle. Something on the pectoral fins though, and odd looking white blotches on the lower body at one point. Mainly looks very thin to me. I’d worry about ability to withstand the stress of dips and copper. If you have nitrofuracin green powder on hand, I’d try that first. It’s quite gentle on the fish. Pyramids are very robust, but are susceptible to internal digestive track issues. So they can be observably ‘eating fine’ but still losing weight.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea thats why i said i wasnt sure if it was velvet/ich because of that white 'dusting' look on their faces because they always have that look at certain angles at least mine do i did the fw dip he laid on its side then i put him into the QT and i believe i did more harm then good because now hes laying at the bottom of the QT on the glass breathing really heavy and not moving im not really sure what to do now

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The butterfly fish is doing really bad still alive but barely and i couldn't find copper power at any lfs and now 2 more fish look to have it as well i believe it must have gotten into my tank from snails I added 2 days ago I forgot I added them I ordered copper power from Amazon but I don't know if it will make it in time

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive managed to remove the tomato clown and 1 butterfly fish sadly the other butterfly fish died last night and the anthias showns no signs at all of velvet for some reason hes gonna be the toughest to catch

i got cupramine and ruby reef rally from a local reefer to treat the fish as this is all i could find in a hurry locally i know the guide says copper power is better but by the time it would come they would all be dead they are in 0.5 copper atm

Last edited:

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive managed to remove the tomato clown and 1 butterfly fish sadly the other butterfly fish died last night and the anthias showns no signs at all of velvet for some reason hes gonna be the toughest to catch

i got cupramine and ruby reef rally from a local reefer to treat the fish as this is all i could find in a hurry locally i know the guide says copper power is better but by the time it would come they would all be dead they are in 0.5 copper atm

So sorry for your loss. Hang in there!

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well all the remaining fish in the tank are dead the rabbit fish i was able to pull out but the lyretail and coral beauty are dead behind the rocks i can see them and pull them but they are covered with snails and the two shrimp being eatin should i pull them? i still have the 1 pyramid butterfly and the tomato clown in QT being treated with cupramine still hanging in there this is the sort of thing that makes you want to quit this hobby but i will press on.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the tomato clown and pyramid butterfly fish are really struggling in the QT right now they wont eat and dont look to be getting better and are breathing heavily im not 100% sure this isn't brooklynella i have a big air stone and a hob filter with no media in it in the qt i may try to lower the copper some

so far i have them in the QT with cupramine at 0.5 i will try to give them a 90 minute dip in rally ruby reef in the next hour i didnt before because they were super stressed out when i pulled them from my dt

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back