Sick starfish?

nefretier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20231031_183851.jpg

Does anyone know what's happening to this star fish on its legs near the base? Is it deteriorating? It was just purchased a week ago with firm legs and good movement. I can tell it's not algae. I did however have a fog machine running which has resulted in a cloudy tank for 3 days. My clam and corals are still very reactive and fully bloomed but could that have caused some kind of stress to the star fish? The only other livestock is a tomini tang, orchid dotty back and blood shrimp.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20231031_183851.jpg

Does anyone know what's happening to this star fish on its legs near the base? Is it deteriorating? It was just purchased a week ago with firm legs and good movement. I can tell it's not algae. I did however have a fog machine running which has resulted in a cloudy tank for 3 days. My clam and corals are still very reactive and fully bloomed but could that have caused some kind of stress to the star fish? The only other livestock is a tomini tang, orchid dotty back and blood shrimp.
Starfish are hard.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry hit enter too soon - they are hard. - all the way around. I have had multiple. In the end (sometimes it takes 2 years ) its the same end

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
20231031_183851.jpg

This is one of the most challenging followed by linkia star to raise. Unless your tank is spot on for age and parameters, I would avoid this one. When they fall apart like yours is, 3 things generally occurring:
- Stress from poor water conditions for its needs or even elevated phosphate
- Predator or occupant picking at it
- Starvation

They need plenty of microfauna to graze on and rotifiers and have a hard time digesting meaty food sources

OP
OP
nefretier

nefretier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is one of the most challenging followed by linkia star to raise. Unless your tank is spot on for age and parameters, I would avoid this one. When they fall apart like yours is, 3 things generally occurring:
- Stress from poor water conditions for its needs or even elevated phosphate
- Predator or occupant picking at it
- Starvation

They need plenty of microfauna to graze on and rotifiers and have a hard time digesting meaty food sources
20231031_231414.jpg

It's a decently established tank it's been running for 2 years since it was last relocated and running for another 2 years before that. What are the phosphate parameters most ideal for keeping this star, the lfs didn't mention anything about that at purchase and I would like to try to save it. We have a small population of pods and bought a handful of macroalgae the same day as the star to increase that population. If it's stressed from the water quality I'm going to do a water change tonight and added carbon to the water today (we were out and waiting on a shipment). If anyone has insight or recommendations on how to ensure the tank is fully prepared to house a starfish I would really appreciate it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
20231031_231414.jpg

It's a decently established tank it's been running for 2 years since it was last relocated and running for another 2 years before that. What are the phosphate parameters most ideal for keeping this star, the lfs didn't mention anything about that at purchase and I would like to try to save it. We have a small population of pods and bought a handful of macroalgae the same day as the star to increase that population. If it's stressed from the water quality I'm going to do a water change tonight and added carbon to the water today (we were out and waiting on a shipment). If anyone has insight or recommendations on how to ensure the tank is fully prepared to house a starfish I would really appreciate it.
Po4 - range .04-.08
salinity 1.025
temp 77-79
magnesium - 1325-1400
ph - 7.8-8.2

OP
OP
nefretier

nefretier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Po4 - range .04-.08
salinity 1.025
temp 77-79
magnesium - 1325-1400
ph - 7.8-8.2
Thank you! I'm doing just over a 20% change rn and will have the parameters tested in the morning. I'm not sure if it can be saved but I'm going to try!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One key issue with these is stability. For example - if your LFS had parameters that were different than yours, that can cause this. IMHO - this is not an issue with not enough food in the tank - since they do not starve or do this in a week (I believe you said you had the starfish for a week). I would also not think it's an issue with bacteria - with a tank that old. What is the temperature in your tank?

I bought (years ago) 3 blue linkia starfish - they looked perfect for about a week. Then - what seemed like overnight, they disintegrated limb by limb. Above, I said 'they are hard' - certain ones are, many are not. Did your store tell you exactly which one this is. One of the most commonly imported starfish is the blue linkia - this does not look like one of those - instead a colored tip starfish.

OP
OP
nefretier

nefretier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One key issue with these is stability. For example - if your LFS had parameters that were different than yours, that can cause this. IMHO - this is not an issue with not enough food in the tank - since they do not starve or do this in a week (I believe you said you had the starfish for a week). I would also not think it's an issue with bacteria - with a tank that old. What is the temperature in your tank?

I bought (years ago) 3 blue linkia starfish - they looked perfect for about a week. Then - what seemed like overnight, they disintegrated limb by limb. Above, I said 'they are hard' - certain ones are, many are not. Did your store tell you exactly which one this is. One of the most commonly imported starfish is the blue linkia - this does not look like one of those - instead a colored tip starfish.
They called it a red tile star. When I looked they're also called marble seastars I believe. I took another picture this morning so i can document how its deteriorating.

20231101_103106.jpg

OP
OP
nefretier

nefretier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I did read that they can already be dead before their bought due to stress of capture and how the lfs acclimated which could explain why it's happened do quick but I would like to rule out the possibility of neglect of something on my part

OP
OP
nefretier

nefretier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
20231108_123200.jpg

After moving the starfish to our sump it seems to be doing better. The obvious open wounds are gone leading us to believe it's being picked at by something.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back