Sick Tang

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased new small tang a couple of weeks ago. He was doing great eating and pecking on rocks. Second day not eating - under ledge - breathing looks labored. He is in a quarantine tank. Any input appreciated!

20240312_130057.jpg

OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240312_144726_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240312_144726_Gallery.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the best I have outside of videos.

This is the best I can get
The lighting in my quarantine tank is terrible. Not many fish vets around here. Took a stab at it and am dosing with Prazipro. Fingers crossed. Read dipping in fresh gives temp relief for breathing,but didn't know if that stress would be worse? Pray I made the right call. Thanks for taking a look.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lighting in my quarantine tank is terrible. Not many fish vets around here. Took a stab at it and am dosing with Prazipro. Fingers crossed. Read dipping in fresh gives temp relief for breathing,but didn't know if that stress would be worse? Pray I made the right call. Thanks for taking a look.
Rapid breathing can be from protozoan gill disease, water quality issues or flukes. Prazipro only helps with the last cause. Because the onset was so fast, if the water tests out ok, it may well be a protozoan infection. Coppersafe ids one option for that, dosed in a bare treatment tank though.

OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rapid breathing can be from protozoan gill disease, water quality issues or flukes. Prazipro only helps with the last cause. Because the onset was so fast, if the water tests out ok, it may well be a protozoan infection. Coppersafe ids one option for that, dosed in a bare treatment tank though.
Amonia- 0/Nitrates-5/Nitrites-0/
pH-8/Phos- 0.14/Alk-7.8/Mag 1350/Cal-450
Salinity 1.025
I did call the aquatics store I purchased him from and they were leaning towards the Prazipro. Thanks for the info. I will read up and hope he makes it through the night. This is a first time using any medications. Sick fish are stressful....

OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang mad it through the night but still in bad shape. Swimming a little then laying on bottom.
I found this in my main tank. Can anyone identify? I removed it. Not sure if it has something to do do with tang or just another issue. It was very white

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240313_144036_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240313_144036_Gallery.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally was able to get a photo.

Attachments

• 20240313_164128.jpg
    20240313_164128.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21
  • 20240313_164115.jpg
    20240313_164115.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 16

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tang mad it through the night but still in bad shape. Swimming a little then laying on bottom.
I found this in my main tank. Can anyone identify? I removed it. Not sure if it has something to do do with tang or just another issue. It was very white
Looks like a non-parasitic flatworm.

OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read you can't dose panacur with prazipro which i dosed in the qt tank. If my main tank needs to be treated (where i found the worm) could I move him back in main tank in an isolation box?

OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm getting confused and panicking trying to Google on the fly and not thoroughly reading. So if he has a flatworm then what I have dosed him with should work ...if anything will? This learning curve is terrible. I really appreciate all the input.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - now I’m confused. The worm in the picture does not look parasitic, so doesn’t need to be treated for.
I’m still worried your fish has a protozoan disease that prazi won’t help with.

OP
OP
juliersavage

juliersavage

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tang didn't make it through the evening last night. I know very little about treating or diagnosing illness. I had acted on what the fish store suggested I do about medication. I had tried to call several vets with no luck. You were correct in your assessment. I wish I would have seen your post first prior to dosing, and the reason you thought it to be a different problem than the fish store. Very sad lesson for me and a frustrating chain of events. I wish I would have researched and sought more information before acting because it was impossible to undo quickly enough.
Anyway, thank you and everyone on this forum making time to share their experience.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back