Sick yellow tang

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I’ve had a yellow tang in Qt for two weeks. At first it ate nori pellets like a pig. It’s been dropping weight and lost interest in food about a week ago. It’s very emaciated now. It’s been denying reef frenzy, fish eggs, nori.... I got it to eat a bit of mastic today. Skin and eyes are clear. Colors good. Breathing is very rapid and increasingly so. I took some slow motion close up vids of the gills. I don’t see anything obvious.

First round of prazi was four days ago because I thought maybe flukes. Second round should be now but due to its rapid breathing and emaciated state I’m worried about 02 and appetite suppression.

For what it’s worth, the LFS had maybe 50 in a tank they just got in and had on sale. Lots looked skinny, this one didn’t. I went back a week later and they were all gone. A teenager who worked there told me the whole lot died. She wasn’t sure from what, and said she wasn’t supposed to tell customers.

I think I’m going to lose this one, but I’m throwing it out there for ideas. Thx!

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a freshwater dip to start. That should show if there are flukes and provide some temporary releif if so

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With heavy breathing could also try a 30 minute bath in methylene blue.

will increase hemoglobin, and o2 saturation, provides a slight antiparasitic and antiseptic properties as well. Can repeat once a week as needed and is generally mild on fish.

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With heavy breathing could also try a 30 minute bath in methylene blue.

will increase hemoglobin, and o2 saturation, provides a slight antiparasitic and antiseptic properties as well. Can repeat once a week as needed and is generally mild on fish.
+1 this is good place to start but you could be dealing with something more sinister since the lot of them died at the LFS. Can you post a picture and your water test parameters?

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 this is good place to start but you could be dealing with something more sinister since the lot of them died at the LFS. Can you post a picture and your water test parameters?
Dead.... I think I was.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the loss :(

see if they will order a biota captive bred for you. Biota does not have wild plumbed to the same systems as their captive bred fish, and if can pick up before it enters the lfs system may get a foot up as opposed to the lfs sticking dozens of wild yellows together. I dont know the pricing near you, but here they are only about $30 more than wild.

OP
OP
Brian1f1

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lfs is the Pitts. I could order from LA.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 14 20.6%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 10 14.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 4.4%
Back