Yellow Tang Fast Respiration

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello friends, my yellow tang is respirating extremely fast upon my return from a 2 week vacation. I have auto feeder and auto top off, and everything else in my tank is happy. Also including water parameters from a very recent ICP analysis. The only thing I can think off the top of my head is maybe it is malnourished because it did not receive bi-daily nori or fresh macro as I usually feed. I’ll do a water change today. Any advice?

IMG_4871.png
IMG_4870.png
IMG_4872.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello friends, my yellow tang is respirating extremely fast upon my return from a 2 week vacation. I have auto feeder and auto top off, and everything else in my tank is happy. Also including water parameters from a very recent ICP analysis. The only thing I can think off the top of my head is maybe it is malnourished because it did not receive bi-daily nori or fresh macro as I usually feed. I’ll do a water change today. Any advice?

IMG_4871.png
IMG_4870.png
IMG_4872.png

It is indeed breathing heavy. Some reasons are the water, gill flukes or stress from aggression
Are any of the fish bothering it?
Is it eating yet?
How are you testing water and what is current ammonia and nitrate levels?
Add an air stone and perform water change but back to breathing, have you noticed any scratching on objects, darting suddenly, hiding?

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is indeed breathing heavy. Some reasons are the water, gill flukes or stress from aggression
Are any of the fish bothering it?
Is it eating yet?
How are you testing water and what is current ammonia and nitrate levels?
Add an air stone and perform water change but back to breathing, have you noticed any scratching on objects, darting suddenly, hiding?
no darting or scratching, and eating with gusto. He is sort of swaying/rolling a bit as he swims, but not to extreme angles.

The coral beauty angel is being a little more pushy than usual, but I'm not seeing any signs of physical damage. I use red sea to test ammonia and nitrate, I'll get fresh readings today along with the water change.

You think I should add an airstone? In display or sump? I do have my skimmer running without the collection cup 24/7, and plenty of surface agitation

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no darting or scratching, and eating with gusto. He is sort of swaying/rolling a bit as he swims, but not to extreme angles.

The coral beauty angel is being a little more pushy than usual, but I'm not seeing any signs of physical damage. I use red sea to test ammonia and nitrate, I'll get fresh readings today along with the water change.

You think I should add an airstone? In display or sump? I do have my skimmer running without the collection cup 24/7, and plenty of surface agitation

My first thought was lack of oxygen, but it sounds like you have good aeration, and the clownfish doesn't seem to be breathing fast. If it was due to some other water quality issue, all fish would be affected to some degree.

It doesn't look super thin, and then, lack of food won't cause rapid breathing.

Gill diseases will cause this. Not all fish will be affected by the same gill diseases. Velvet (Amyloodinium) is the worst one - it can kill fish in a matter of days, but the clowns would also show that. Anemia can cause rapid breathing, trouble is, that's a really general symptom, of a variety of tough-to-treat issues. Flukes almost always show some scratching/flashing.

Jay

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate the input. If he doesn't improve after the water change and a few days of "business as usual" feeding, I'll check back in. He was visibly thin when I arrived home, but has filled in a bit after devouring the first sheet of nori (since feeding nori sheets isn't really doable when I'm not home...). I have a length of feather caulerpa on a clip for him in there now as well.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Yes as mentioned - air stone and check water as its likely an oxygen issue although the other fish in tank dont display this breathing rate

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Providing an update here, any advice is more than welcome as I’m quite attached to my tang! Photos and video below. I did a 10 gallon water change on this ~80 gallon total volume system. The tang is still breathing very fast, but has not visibly worsened. He is eating ok, but less aggressively than before he was sick. He sways/tilts slightly occasionally while swimming. He also has two very faint brownish spots on his upper left side, these are not raised or indented, and are visible in the video if you look closely. Should I dose the tank with some medication? Freshwater dip him? Add another air stone? Something else? All other fish are completely fine, but a wall hammer frag did suddenly retract and dissolve today.

Hannah Phosphate: 0.08
Red Sea Nitrate: ~3
Red Sea Ammonia: ~0.1
Salifert dissolved oxygen: ~5

IMG_4882.jpeg
IMG_4888.jpeg
IMG_4889.jpeg
IMG_4891.jpeg

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Providing an update here, any advice is more than welcome as I’m quite attached to my tang! Photos and video below. I did a 10 gallon water change on this ~80 gallon total volume system. The tang is still breathing very fast, but has not visibly worsened. He is eating ok, but less aggressively than before he was sick. He sways/tilts slightly occasionally while swimming. He also has two very faint brownish spots on his upper left side, these are not raised or indented, and are visible in the video if you look closely. Should I dose the tank with some medication? Freshwater dip him? Add another air stone? Something else? All other fish are completely fine, but a wall hammer frag did suddenly retract and dissolve today.

Hannah Phosphate: 0.08
Red Sea Nitrate: ~3
Red Sea Ammonia: ~0.1
Salifert dissolved oxygen: ~5

IMG_4882.jpeg
IMG_4888.jpeg
IMG_4889.jpeg
IMG_4891.jpeg

Ammonia is elevated (you want .025 or below) I still suspect possible flukes and would recommend prazi pro which is tank safe but dose at 85% of recommended

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is elevated (you want .025 or below) I still suspect possible flukes and would recommend prazi pro which is tank safe but dose at 85% of recommended
ok, I'll do another water change to help with ammonia and I'll get some prazi to dose. thank you for the help!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, I'll do another water change to help with ammonia and I'll get some prazi to dose. thank you for the help!
I rescanned this post - maybe I missed it, but what is the pH of the water? Low pH can be caused by high carbon dioxide levels and that will cause rapid breathing - I just want to rule that out.

Jay

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rescanned this post - maybe I missed it, but what is the pH of the water? Low pH can be caused by high carbon dioxide levels and that will cause rapid breathing - I just want to rule that out.

Jay
I’ll give that a test tonight, I usually don’t bother testing Ph if my alk is ok

OP
OP
TX_REEF

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.3, doesn’t seem problematic. Prazi Pro dosed at .85 tsp per 20 gallons, ~17.7mL for the 80 gallon total actual volume system. Anemone doesn’t like it, closed immediately. Fingers crossed.

IMG_4903.jpeg
IMG_4904.jpeg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph 8.3, doesn’t seem problematic. Prazi Pro dosed at .85 tsp per 20 gallons, ~17.7mL for the 80 gallon total actual volume system. Anemone doesn’t like it, closed immediately. Fingers crossed.

IMG_4903.jpeg
IMG_4904.jpeg

Anemones usually close up when prazi is dosed. Good to see the pH is fine, we can rule out that issue then.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a ridiculous statement. Even ocean levels can be just under 0.1. Total ammonia of 0.2 is not going to be a problem... unless that's an interim test and levels are steadily rising.

*Also, most test kits don't even test for ammonia below 0.1

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 26 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 96 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 7.1%
Back