Sick yellow tang

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all new here. So i had a pbt that had possible ws and died. Removed fish to qt. Regal angel yellow tang. The regal died aswell. Ive started dosing copper power im currently at 1.25ppm. Fish has been fine in qt for 7 days and feeding so started the copper. Fine yesterday and eating. Tonight the little guy is like this. Any ideas. Ammo 0 aswell

20220202_183222.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey all new here. So i had a pbt that had possible ws and died. Removed fish to qt. Regal angel yellow tang. The regal died aswell. Ive started dosing copper power im currently at 1.25ppm. Fish has been fine in qt for 7 days and feeding so started the copper. Fine yesterday and eating. Tonight the little guy is like this. Any ideas. Ammo 0 aswell

20220202_183222.jpg
How long have you had the tang?
The 'white spots' look more like Cryptokaryon than velvet
Where did you get the tang?
Are you treating the tang in your display - or in a Hospital tank?
Do you have a copper level checker?
@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
M

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long have you had the tang?
The 'white spots' look more like Cryptokaryon than velvet
Where did you get the tang?
Are you treating the tang in your display - or in a Hospital tank?
Do you have a copper level checker?
@Jay Hemdal
Hi buddy. Yes the fish is in qt now. Ive had the fish almost 2 months. I had an outbreak in my dt and whiped all fish bar the yellow tang and purple firefish. Im currently at 1.25ppm of copper power using a hanna checker. Going to be bumping to 1.5ppm tonight. Was spotless 20hours ago. Its been in the qt tank for a week now as wanted to make sure he settled and eating before copper. Been spotless all that time. Last night was fine. Got home this eve and covered like this

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi buddy. Yes the fish is in qt now. Ive had the fish almost 2 months. I had an outbreak in my dt and whiped all fish bar the yellow tang and purple firefish. Im currently at 1.25ppm of copper power using a hanna checker. Going to be bumping to 1.5ppm tonight. Was spotless 20hours ago. Its been in the qt tank for a week now as wanted to make sure he settled and eating before copper. Been spotless all that time. Last night was fine. Got home this eve and covered like this
I would suggest that you can increase it somewhat more rapidly. up to 2 . The current recommendation (according to my reading - is up to 2.5 ppm over 24 hours. (but its unclear how long its been at 1.25) - just was making a comment

OP
OP
M

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that you can increase it somewhat more rapidly. up to 2 . The current recommendation (according to my reading - is up to 2.5 ppm over 24 hours. (but its unclear how long its been at 1.25) - just was making a comment
sorry tthts my fault. I should have been more clear. I was at 1ppm monday. Then 1.25ppm tuesday pm. Would it be ok to bump up to 2.0ppm now? Then slow it down again till i get ti 2.5ppm?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
sorry tthts my fault. I should have been more clear. I was at 1ppm monday. Then 1.25ppm tuesday pm. Would it be ok to bump up to 2.0ppm now? Then slow it down again till i get ti 2.5ppm?
I woudl say 'yes'

OP
OP
M

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I woudl say 'yes'
Thank you for your help. I feel if i go slow hes not going to make it. It had some food tonight aswell so atleast has some food in him for energy. I guess in this situation theres no 2 rights. Take time slowly ramping and it suffers and dies. Or bump up a bit quicker to min therapeutic range and give it a fighting chance but increasing the cu level faster than would have liked. I will keep you posted

OP
OP
M

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Believe Jay’s latest protocol is to get the copper to 2.5 within 24 hours. Taking it slow winds up having the fish succumb to the disease before the copper can take effect.
Thanks for that info mate. I guess i could get it to 2ppm tonight then within next 24hrs finish it off at 2.5ppm? Or would you just go for it now from 1.25ppm straight to 2.5ppm?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20220202_183222.jpg

copper power should be at 2.5. slow is no go... if this tang dies.. it was probably going to anyway :( Once losses start... you do not want to delay any treatment.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes - I was basing my comment on Jay's recent recommendations - I did not know when you started - up to 2.5 - as others have said - do it:) And hope everything goes well

OP
OP
M

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - I was basing my comment on Jay's recent recommendations - I did not know when you started - up to 2.5 - as others have said - do it:) And hope everything goes well
Dosed the tank as per the online calculator. Its a little hard as usg and its litres in the uk but managed to get it to 2.32 and testing after 45 mins. So wont add anymore tonight to give it time to fully mix in. 1 thing ive found with the hanna checker is i add the reagent salts and it just sits on the bottom even after inverting slowly 5 times and gently swirling. Have you any input how to rectify this?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The tang has a pretty severe case of ich. Once fish have begun to die from a case, it is sometimes difficult to stop it. One thing you need to do is get to a full dose of copper right away. 2.0 ppm. Since you have a Hanna checker you can ensure you don’t dose too high.
Jay

OP
OP
M

mattb2989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

The tang has a pretty severe case of ich. Once fish have begun to die from a case, it is sometimes difficult to stop it. One thing you need to do is get to a full dose of copper right away. 2.0 ppm. Since you have a Hanna checker you can ensure you don’t dose too high.
Jay
Hi jay thank you for your input. I see most people now use 2.0 as a min and 2.5ppm for max therapeutic for copper power. I dosed last night to 2.32ppm. Fish is still alive this morning so thats always a plus.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 32.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 41 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back