Sick?

Dboyd6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anemone has been looking like this for the past couple of days, he is a green bta

He is still firmly attached to the rock

Perimeters

Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Ph: 7.8 (Low)
Ammonia: 0
Phosphate: .25

150 gallon with 20 gallon sump
2 full spectrum led marine current orbital lights
Med to high flow
3679afe3d059d9477d5d5ceea61f194d.jpg

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running? Are you feeding it at all? And are your orbit marine lights the pro version or the standard?

OP
OP
D

Dboyd6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running? Are you feeding it at all? And are your orbit marine lights the pro version or the standard?

This tank has been running in my house about 4 months, the guy I bought it from had it up for 3 years, it was all quickly put together to save the biological filter, and I think pro

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This tank has been running in my house about 4 months, the guy I bought it from had it up for 3 years, it was all quickly put together to save the biological filter, and I think pro
Was the previous owner using the same lights or did you get your own lights?

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full tank and sump shot? What are your parameters. Not the ones you check during a cycle. (Although, As stated, Phospahates a bit high and Nitrates are important, they are just a small part of the overall health and bigger picture) Mag. Cal. Alk. are primary after tank has cycled and a must know for long term stability and successes. When adding soft tissued animals at least a few months of the above params should be stable and in range. Soft corals won't use much if any of either so keeping them stable should be your primary focus now. Anemone doesn't look sick from the limited pic and I would think that if it was not enough light it would be opened and searching for it not closed up and apparently irritated. However a 150 with just two of those lights is pushimg it and knowing if it's the "Pro" model or not will make a Lot of difference.
Best advice I might give. Leave it alone and don't force it to eat or move, if it is not hosting anything though you'll need to at least ensure it is getting some nutrition from you.
What elase is in that tank?
Best luck and happy reefing man.

sstanley223

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does phosphate affect invert? Or are you thinking the source of phosphate could be?
I copied this from Reef Aquarium magazine:

Water Quality
Generally speaking, they need the same type of water conditions as SPS corals require. Anemones need: high levels of dissolved O2, a salinity at 1.024 to 1.026, a stable pH between 8.1 and 8.3, temp between 76 and 78 F, calcium between 400 and 450, dKH at 8.0 to 12.0, magnesium between 1,250 and 1,350 ppm, nitrateat 2 ppm or less (closer to 0 ppm is best), stable phosphate at 0.002 ppm or less (0 is best), and finally 0 ppm of ammonia and nitrite. Just as with most all aquatic life, stable parameters and parameters at or near the desired levels is the key to a healthy and happy tank with healthy and happy anemones.

timnem70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking tank may be relatively new and phosphates from feeding and leaching from the rocks contribute. Nems especially BTA need an established system that have few swings in temp, ph, SG, Alk. As I mentioned, from the limited things I see on the pic provided, it doesn't look sickly. (Can't see its mouth though). Wonder if this system was cycled recently and just doesn't quite have that biofilter going yet and as a result irritating this creature? Again. Full tank and sump shots and a closer pic of the Anemone with Blues down/off and whites turned up so we can see what's what are best so we can get an overview.
There are others in this club with far more Nem experience than I but I have two 4 year old GBTAs and thought Id lend my 2 cents of experience.
Thanks.
Hope all works out with it amd the rest of your reef. Just take it [emoji222] slow.

Ps. That's not anythimg on the Clownfish. Its salt spots that had splashed and dripped on the outside glass. Just haven't cleaned glass.
18019cf3c4bcbf3bd098a1a80d4a14e6.jpg

nmqtrhrse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was good one day, then sick the next. All of my water parameters were perfect. The only thing we can think that happened was that it got stung by a coral. I took it out and quarantined it and it never did come back. Before I took it out though my amonia level spiked and I was told that it could be because the nem was trying to die.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 80 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 82 46.1%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.0%
Back