Sickly clown, need help

KingSyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, so I’ve had this clown fish for about a year, I got the pair from drreefsquarentinedfish.com and never had any issues with them. However I’ve noticed after seeing my sisters clowns who are much younger than mine, that my smaller clown was definitely stunted in growth. I started paying careful attention to him and noticed he seemed very lethargic (laying in the sand in a cave and barely moving) and at times was breathing very rapidly. He seems to be eating when I feed the tank, but he still seems very skinny, to the point I think you can see the outline of his bones even though his belly is full and round. None of my other fish have this problem and my mama clown is very big and healthy. Please help, I don’t want to lose this guy but have no idea what to do for him. Params and a video below, thanks for your time!

IMG_3816.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello fellow reefers, so I’ve had this clown fish for about a year, I got the pair from drreefsquarentinedfish.com and never had any issues with them. However I’ve noticed after seeing my sisters clowns who are much younger than mine, that my smaller clown was definitely stunted in growth. I started paying careful attention to him and noticed he seemed very lethargic (laying in the sand in a cave and barely moving) and at times was breathing very rapidly. He seems to be eating when I feed the tank, but he still seems very skinny, to the point I think you can see the outline of his bones even though his belly is full and round. None of my other fish have this problem and my mama clown is very big and healthy. Please help, I don’t want to lose this guy but have no idea what to do for him. Params and a video below, thanks for your time!

IMG_3816.jpeg

Fish is thin and breathing somewhat rapid. Other than other clown, how are other fish behavior?
Assure ammonia and temperature not elevated.
Has fish lost color?

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3816.jpeg

Following

OP
OP
KingSyn

KingSyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is thin and breathing somewhat rapid. Other than other clown, how are other fish behavior?
Assure ammonia and temperature not elevated.
Has fish lost color?
All other fish are behaving normally, are fat and healthy.
Temp is 78
no ammonia elevation
And seems like his face is pale

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any new animals in the last month?

Could this clown possibly just been losing ground in terms of weight over time? Eventually, when that happens, the fish just "crashes" and starts breathing fast and acting "off".

Jay

OP
OP
KingSyn

KingSyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you added any new animals in the last month?

Could this clown possibly just been losing ground in terms of weight over time? Eventually, when that happens, the fish just "crashes" and starts breathing fast and acting "off".

Jay
Nope haven’t added anything new in a while.
This has been in going for a while, just never realized how small he was in comparison to another pair.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s another video showing how skinny and the round belly

Yes - the clown is really skinny. What happens is then, the fish starts using its liver as a food source. Once the liver has been used, the fish starts showing other symptoms like lethargy, rapid breathing. There isn't anything you can do for them at that point, sorry.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back