Side effects on high iodine

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previously I've had an active thread about problems with some acros in my tank.

The general symptom is that I've had frags (and colonies) that has grown at the base, but after a while they start stn from the very same base that they've recently has grown. I can't nail it down to why that is.
20220111_161356.jpg

20220111_161440.jpg

At times I've had elevated iodine in my tank, recent icp showed 0,121 mg/l. I'm not sure where all iodine comes from, but I'm guessing the balling recipe with fauna marin trace 3. At times I've mixed balling without trace 3, which has led to iodine levels has gone down.
Screenshot_20220110-112225_APEX Fusion.jpg

Also silicate is a bit elevated at 0,5 mg/l, most likely due to uncured frag plugs made by aragonite sand and white portland cement.

In beginning of January I did a more extensive icp, that also showed low levels of fluorine.. You can see the full extent here...
There was also an icp of my rodi water that showed 0 in all elements.
Comment1: po4 is not normally at those levels, I try to keep them at 0,08+/-0,02.
Comment 2: most heavy metals are at 0, even though I do manual doses weekly of all of these separate trace elements.

I take very good care of my water (imo), doing monthly icp, alkatronic keeps my kh in check, mastertronic keeps an eye on no2, no3, po4, mg (1400) and ca (420). PH monitored by apex and ranges daily between 8,15-8,35. Dosetronic doses 2 part balling (that I mix myself with sodium carbonate + fauna marin trace mix, see recipe below).
I dose 4 litres of kalkwasser (two little fishes) daily through a kamoer peristaltic pump
Screenshot_20220111-160434_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

In my system (400 litres, 3 years old) I also use a rolling filter, a refugium with a dsb and chaeto that adds up to around 10% of the total system volume. I have a skimmer with a semi-recirculating co2-scrubber and a connected ozonizer (25 mg all day long). I use activated carbon in the baffle between the skimmer and the return pump.
Good flow with 3 mp40s, bare bottom, par measured with apogee with a peak at around 400 par and lowest 100 in the lowest corners. Sps dominated tank. I rarely do water changes.

Not sure what else could be mentioned.

But I wonder if anyone else have had these stn problems?
One theory is that it is connected to the fluctuating and at times high iodine. Could this come from the balling recipe?
Another theory would be that the cause is ozone. I don't have a carbon filter in the skimmer water output.
Low Fluorine couldn't possibly be the reason, right?

Any help appreciated. If something is unclear please comment and I'll update this first post.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kimros1986

kimros1986

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you measuring ORP? Maybe there are too many toxic oxidants in the water.

Possibly a bacterial pathogen, maybe a virus.
The previous thread I mentioned in the first post here was about possible bacterial problem. A very vague area...

My orp before ozone (early summer 2020) was around 230-250, now around 300.

I've thought about dosing "mud" for bacterial benefits. Maybe a first step to take.
Or do you have another suggestion?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 52 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 56.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 23.4%
  • None.

Votes: 27 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.4%
Back