Signs of a needed protein skimmer

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we set up our tanks, there is a lot of controversy on most aspects of reef keeping. One subject in particular is protein skimmers.

How do you know you need one!?

I will start with one of the signs I use to determine the content of my water.

When I set up a tank, new water is so clean that it is almost pointless to use a protein skimmer for anything other than gas exchange! In my sump I will examine the drain section. This is where water comes crashing into my sump from the upstairs. This causes my drain section to be very bubbly after the water starts to get dirty. After a while the drain section begins to look like a protein skimmer due to the foam collected by the baffles.

At this point I know It is time to install or power on my protein skimmer. Within 1 hour the drain section looses its foaminess and the water becomes much less oily and much more oxygen rich!

How do you know when your tank is ready for skimming?

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon."

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally i think all reef tanks need protein skimming. They take out stuff that no other filter can. Some use them some don't but i have always used with good results.

OP
OP
S

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah the controversial phrase: "all tanks need one"

Some people swear they are necessary and some won't even breath near one. Past experiences of others have shown corals thriving with no skimmer while fish are dying while others have fish thriving and corals stunted. Others have also had corals and fish equally thriving. It is really just finding that equilibrium of nutrient export and nutrient production. How you achieve this is completely unique from anyone else on the planet. Frankly I prefer a turf scrubber over any other form of nutrient export. I am using a skimmer during my rebuild and it is not worse or better IMO. Putting science aside the only downside to a skimmer is the flood risk that some are capable of.

The marine aquarium hobby has as much disagreement as Jerusalem, and all other sciences. This leads to more questions and answers that ultimately create better reefs for our children and their kids to come. Keep the debates strong!

Who would like to share what they think? I know someone out there wants to take the no skimmer side!

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon."

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 12g nano has never had one, and everything's fine. I've read that the nano skimmers aren't very good so I just use sponges, bio balls and purigen. So far it's worked for me!

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP
12g Nanoreef. Zooanthids, Ricordia, Star Polyps, Acans and two clownfish. CF Lighting, 75% actinic blue, 25% 10,000k white.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i have to turn mine off i notice that the glass gets dirtier a lot faster then usual. i run it 24/7

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 44.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 72 33.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 34 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back