signs of old age in fish?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, how do you know when a fish is getting old other than how long you’ve had it against life span. I’ve had my Yasha Goby for 2 years comming March. I know their expected span is 2-3 years (Hoping mine hits close to the 2.5 year mark if not longer) but are there any signs that show if a fish is old. I have noticed my yasha has a different pattern to what I remember when I got him but also I think he has black dots but I’m unsure.

LadyMac

Freshwater sage fish whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may not be the same for all species, however I have a ~7 year old betta that has stopped eating. His water is fine, he’s healthy and active otherwise. Just doesn’t eat. I’ve offered everything. A breeder told me that usually is a good sign of them being old, and most will euthanize. I’m still holding out hope I can locate some baby brine shrimp to hatch and try that with him. That’s my last ditch effort.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 or 3 years is a juvenile. People have fish over 20 years old

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 or 3 years is a juvenile. People have fish over 20 years old
I’ve read that 2-3 years is the life span of Stonigobiops yasha, I’m aware most fish 2-3 years is a juvenile and most live for 20+ years however I was mainly wondering because I didn’t know if my yasha would be close to dead (Not a nice thing but it only recently occurred to me that in march it will be 2 years with me and I’m unsure if this was CB or WC).

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure your gobi should live way longer than that. There are no fish with that short a lifespan with Bangai Cardinals having the shortest life span of the fish we normally keep. Even seahorses and pipefish live much longer than 3 years. I have some over 7 years old now.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure your gobi should live way longer than that. There are no fish with that short a lifespan with Bangai Cardinals having the shortest life span of the fish we normally keep. Even seahorses and pipefish live much longer than 3 years. I have some over 7 years old now.
Thanks for the help!! It’s really reassuring to know I haven’t gotten highly attached to a fish that’ll die within a few years

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know of that many people who manage to keep these gobies for a long time. On the other hand I’ve seen quite a few people keep Cryptocentrus shrimp gobies for a decade or more. Ask @Paul B
@McPuff has had his for like 17 years already and it’s never been paired with a pistol shrimp.

I think the fact that Yasha are a small species and we get them as adults, plus the fact that they’re even more shy and cryptic than the average Cryptocentrus goby means I can’t rule out cyanide. But I like to think since they’re small and we get them as adults they don’t have a very long lifespan to begin with compared to some other gobies.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know of that many people who manage to keep these gobies for a long time. On the other hand I’ve seen quite a few people keep Cryptocentrus shrimp gobies for a decade or more. Ask @Paul B
@McPuff has had his for like 17 years already and it’s never been paired with a pistol shrimp.

I think the fact that Yasha are a small species and we get them as adults, plus the fact that they’re even more shy and cryptic than the average Cryptocentrus goby means I can’t rule out cyanide. But I like to think since they’re small and we get them as adults they don’t have a very long lifespan to begin with compared to some other gobies.
I’m hoping my three gobies live the issue is I don’t know if my yasha and hectors gobies are actually CB. My Clown Goby definitely isn’t a CB fish though, I really hope to keep all three of them longer and if I go for another stonogobiops shrimp goby it will be a CB yasha or black ray.

From what I’ve found, Yashas live to up to 3 years and rarely over.
8E179C1F-9143-4153-8828-D2068F5494A0.jpeg

It also seems that hectors gobies have a similar life span. I know Cryptocentrus have longer lifespans but from what I’ve read and seen, the smaller gobies that stay 2” or less seem to have 2-3 years worth of a life span. Stonogobiops, Gobiodon, Koumansetta, Evoita, ect… all seem to have much shorter life spans than a larger species of goby I.e. Cryptocentrus, Valenciennae, Ambyeleotris ect.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to bump this back up and the reason why is because of my yasha. He’s past that 3 year mark however, I looked at the tank and he’s laying in the dip that his pistol shrimp has made (Yes I paired him up early October). Not only is he just laying there, he’s also breathing abnormally fast for this. Is it time to say goodbye?
I know signs of old age hit fast but he seemed fine on Tuesday and then yesterday I didn’t really see him eat but the rapid breathing is new to this morning.
Here’s an older photo from the 30th of October.
8845C521-04F5-40F3-8B34-324E52F32E3C.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to bump this back up and the reason why is because of my yasha. He’s past that 3 year mark however, I looked at the tank and he’s laying in the dip that his pistol shrimp has made (Yes I paired him up early October). Not only is he just laying there, he’s also breathing abnormally fast for this. Is it time to say goodbye?
I know signs of old age hit fast but he seemed fine on Tuesday and then yesterday I didn’t really see him eat but the rapid breathing is new to this morning.
Here’s an older photo from the 30th of October.
8845C521-04F5-40F3-8B34-324E52F32E3C.jpeg
Here’s a video I got just before leaving.

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have had my midas blenny coming on 3 years in january he is still going strong his life span is ment to be 2-5 years

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry for the loss, you gave it a good, well fed life and thats the best we can do as fish keepers. You even gave it a shrimp buddy that kept it company til its final days

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back