Signs that SPS is coming back from the dead

Naturalreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 3, 2015
Messages
1,139
Reaction score
752
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Purchased a vivids confetti from a well know vendor and it came in browned out and stressed. Week later it completely bleached in 200 par with no visible polyps. I have had completely bleached/dead coral come back before, but I didn’t pay close attention to the recovery. The confetti has been completely stark white for the last week. I turkey basted very little algae of the tips, but now in the last two days the internal skeleton is filling with brown with a little darker brown patches here and there. Anyone recover bleached sps and watched the recovery day to day? Wondering if this is zoox populating the coral? Really hoping this one comes back. Thanks for any input!
C4F95922-8AB7-458A-BEA4-8E864CCB27D2.jpeg
 
It's impossible to tell what's going on with that much blue light. Most of the time if an acro completely bleaches but is still living it will have some polyps visible whether they are retracted or extending depends on your tank. Also the coral may be white but no algae will grow on it. If algae begins to grow on the coral it's dead.
 
I have a frag right now that turned completely white, right after receiving it, except for one tiny nub. The white got covered with algae and then coralline. After 3+ months, the nub has grown to about a half-inch square of tissue and growth, growing over the coralline and protruding from base.

As @lemonade said, once a coral goes completely white then gets completely covered with algae, I've never had one come back. Any tissue or polyps and there is still potential for a comeback.
 
Thanks guys, lights were just coming on hence deep blue. I have had completely dead coral (fox flame and rainbow loom)no polyps and algae covered come back from the dead so I know it’s possible. Just wondering if anyone had documented it.
 
Just curious, when your corals turned white, did you move it to a lower light area or just left it alone?
 
I left it alone since it was in 200 par and came from 300 par both leds.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new