Silica dosing

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to start silica dosing in my reef to outcompete dinos... brightwell do spongexcell but it is rather expensive so was wondering if i can buy alternative product that will do the job? Will the product below be fine? Also does anyone know if there is a cheaper alternative to sponge excel in general?

DA8A0A64-6CAB-4030-B0E8-83264E02C27D.png

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn’t silicate something that causes Dino’s? How does this work
Silicates can cause diatom blooms. I believe diatoms either predate on or suppress in some other manner the dinos.

I wanted to start silica dosing in my reef to outcompete dinos... brightwell do spongexcell but it is rather expensive so was wondering if i can buy alternative product that will do the job? Will the product below be fine? Also does anyone know if there is a cheaper alternative to sponge excel in general?

DA8A0A64-6CAB-4030-B0E8-83264E02C27D.png
I always look for food grade or pharmaceutical grade when buying bulk.

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicates can cause diatom blooms. I believe diatoms either predate on or suppress in some other manner the dinos.

So this product above will work just make sure its pharmacitical grade?

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So basically your dosing silicate to outbattle the Dino’s nutrient wise to eliminate the bloom by over populating

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this product above will work just make sure its pharmacitical grade?
What you have there is technical grade. It's just not as pure as pharmaceutical grade or food grade. I would get as high purity as you have available.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So basically your dosing silicate to outbattle the Dino’s nutrient wise to eliminate the bloom by over populating
A diatom bloom is also a great food source for a lot of the benthic life which in a dino bloom mostly get wiped out and need help rebounding thier population which in turn will help push out the dinos. Also diatoms like to occupy much of the same real estate as the dinos and are unfased by dino toxin.
Basically youare trying to incourage something other than dinos to flourish and diatoms being a great food source and a controllable bloom makes them a great candidate. The only downside to diatoms is that they are ugly but nowhere near as ugly as dino.
And it works. I wouldnt hesitate to initiate a diatom bloom tomorrow if needec.

Joseph Disalvo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A diatom bloom is also a great food source for a lot of the benthic life which in a dino bloom mostly get wiped out and need help rebounding thier population which in turn will help push out the dinos. Also diatoms like to occupy much of the same real estate as the dinos and are unfased by dino toxin.
Basically youare trying to incourage something other than dinos to flourish and diatoms being a great food source and a controllable bloom makes them a great candidate. The only downside to diatoms is that they are ugly but nowhere near as ugly as dino.
Thank you

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you have there is technical grade. It's just not as pure as pharmaceutical grade or food grade. I would get as high purity as you have available.
Im on a budget, so its
Arm n hammer- for alkalinity
Driveway Heat ice melter-magnesium chloride
Mrs. Wages pickeling lime- kalkwasser/calcium hydroxide
Spectracide Stump remover-potasium nitrate
And any other way to save money.
If you think the ingrediants in all the aquarium packaged supplements are food grade or better... well... no way!

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have been battling the amphidinium dinos for MONTHS... just when i think i have them beat they come back... so you are pretty confident this should work? Sounds like you have had experience with this

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling the amphidinium dinos for MONTHS... just when i think i have them beat they come back... so you are pretty confident this should work? Sounds like you have had experience with this
Yes I have. One tip though. Get the dinos out often and completely. If you have to take sand with them then take sand whatever just get them out. I used 5 gallon water changes(100 gallon tank) to suck them out. Filtering them out doesnt work. I tried down to 1 micron socks and the dinos went right through.
Pull the dino and sand and wash the sand let it sun dry and return it a cup at a time.
The diatoms will work to recover space that you clear.
Keep your nutrients detectable and uv running.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For at least a couple of months. Every time I saw the rust color anywhere in the tank I would do another round of sodium silicate.
There will probably always be dino in the tank ( I believe they are in every tank) but havnt seen a visible outbreak in over a year.

35ppt

Large Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on a budget, so its
If you think the ingrediants in all the aquarium packaged supplements are food grade or better... well... no way!
I never said you had to use food grade or better. I know plenty of people have been using the products you've listed with great success. I used to make my own soda ash from arm n hammer. But when the price difference is often negligible you might as well get as pure as possible IMO.

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For at least a couple of months. Every time I saw the rust color anywhere in the tank I would do another round of sodium silicate.
There will probably always be dino in the tank ( I believe they are in every tank) but havnt seen a visible outbreak in over a year.

Thank you for the advice...so just to clairfy... remove them as much as possible... dose the silicate untill diatom bloom and then leave alone and let the diatoms clear on its own and that shoudl take care of the dinos too?

philosophile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy "waterglass" which is sodium silicate for pretty cheap. One bottle will last you basically forever. Be sure to properly dilute it for the concentration you have. In almost all cases you're talking drops per liter.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the advice...so just to clairfy... remove them as much as possible... dose the silicate untill diatom bloom and then leave alone and let the diatoms clear on its own and that shoudl take care of the dinos too?
Right, start slow, low dose until you see how the tank reacts. You will probably have to maintain the diatom bloom for a while even after the dinos seem gone.
Quite a few people in the dino thread had to dose more than they thought they would to initiate a bloom.

Neoalchemist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never said you had to use food grade or better. I know plenty of people have been using the products you've listed with great success. I used to make my own soda ash from arm n hammer. But when the price difference is often negligible you might as well get as pure as possible IMO.
Totally agree, but when I was shopping for sodium silicate i dont remember finding any higher grade. I would have bought higher grade if I found it unless it was cost prohibitive.

OP
OP
M

merereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im on a budget, so its

I dosed about 10ml in to a 60 gallon and noticed snowflakes everwhere is this normal??? Did i dose too much?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 24 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 23.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other

Votes: 2 6.7%
Back