SilicaBuster and.....

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Want to use the SilicaBuster from Spectrapure to see if they will last longer than the BRS pro resins for silicate and phosphate.
Does anyone know if I can use the SilicaBuster along with the standard blue mixed bed resin from BRS or does the SB require the use of one of the MaxCap cartridges? If I can use it with a standard resin which would be first?

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the answer to your question, but I run a MaxCap and SilicaBuster on my RODI unit and both my MaxCap and SilicaBuster are over 2 years old. I have a backup set stored in their Mylar bags in the fridge and they sit idle as my 2 year old Spectrapure DI cartridges are each still producing 0 TDS water as monitorEd by my dual TDS meter for the dual DI stage of my RODI system.

Important facts to note, my post RO membrane TDS is around 1-2 TDS and I make about 20 gallons a week.

OP
OP
ADAM

ADAM

@AK_Reefs on Instagram
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the answer to your question, but I run a MaxCap and SilicaBuster on my RODI unit and both my MaxCap and SilicaBuster are over 2 years old. I have a backup set stored in their Mylar bags in the fridge and they sit idle as my 2 year old Spectrapure DI cartridges are each still producing 0 TDS water as monitorEd by my dual TDS meter for the dual DI stage of my RODI system.

Important facts to note, my post RO membrane TDS is around 1-2 TDS and I make about 20 gallons a week.

Good to know. I see great reviews on their products and hope to get longer performance from them. The BRS pro resins worked well but I need to change the resin more often than I like. If BRS had the pre-filled pro resins I would probably keep using it. I think that I am not getting the resin packed well enough and channeling of the resin is occurring. There is not a lot color change in the resin but after 3-4 months I can tell they are not performing well because the sponges in the live rock will start to multiply rapidly. Once I change the resins out the sponges start to recede within a week. All while showing 0 TDS on two different meters.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will say though, that I would trust the TDS meters over a color change in any color changing DI resin to determine resin life.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back