Silicone for aquarium

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ramon84
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Ramon84

CubanReefer
View Badges
Joined
Dec 11, 2024
Messages
576
Reaction score
270
Location
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told I could use any 100% silicone for a fish tank could I use this wanted to make sure before purchasing
IMG_3557.jpeg
 
Not too long ago I read of an incident where acrylic baffles swelled and cracked a glass sump. It was here but I can find the post now.

Interesting! This is the first I’ve heard of that!!

Yes, acrylic does oh-so-slightly swell in water, but it's not much. It's the reason I leave 1/16 or so of an inch on each baffle. I've build my fair share of sumps and never had an issue with them swelling to the point of breaking a tank. However, I do notice it in acrylic covers I make where the bottom only is exposed to water and the acrylic "warps" as the wet side swells while the dry side does not.
 
Upvote 0
I wonder if it has more to do with the difference in temperatures, than an actual ingress of moisture?
I think the difference in thermal expansion rates between glass and acrylic are part of it, but moreso both the temperature difference, and humidity…

I have experienced the warping aspect of acrylic when I made 3/8” thick acrylic tank lids, with a perimeter and center spine of 3/8” thick, 1” tall acrylic strips welded on… they progressively bowed/became concave over a year or two, on-edge strips and all!
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 3 10.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 5 17.2%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 1 3.4%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 4 13.8%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 16 55.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new