Silver spot tang hiding a lot with shredded fins and not swimming properly

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck... when you have a chance read that forum profusely there is a lot of good research on there regarding quarantining your fish both profolacticly or through tank transfer method

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An h202 bath followed by being placed in a tank with pvc and dose copper power per the protocols on humble fish. You will need a hannah copper checker to test it ppm to 1 and slowly ramp up to 2.25
Copper power should actually be immediately dosed to therapeutic level - otherwise diseases can build up a resistance. Also, often fish need to be immediately treated and the extra few days can wind up being deadly if disease is bad enough.

To the OP, there still really is not enough to go on. A video is still necessary to get a good idea of what is going on, it’s all guesses based on a few pictures and what we are told. It sounds like the fish is unlikely to survive, and that the issue is specific to this fish (as nothing else is affected as of now). The damage is not as bad as I expected, so aggression may not be the big issue (though I think it may still be based on tankmates).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry - this fish is actively dying. It is very thin, breathing too fast and has ripped fins. I do not see any way that you can save it. If you want to try to anyway, give it a 5 minute freshwater bath and get it into a hospital tank with copper in it this evening.

What is that purple thing in the basket behind it? It looks like a dead dottyback.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no that is a algae sheet I tried to feed him

Ha - I brought my wife over to look at that picture, she doesn't know aquariums at all and she thought it was a dead fish as well.....

Jay

DaScubaSteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear... it has happened to the best of us even when we try to do everything to save them. At this point I would look into proper qt techniques and have a plan in place for if and when this happens again. And expand upon your knowledge of properly quarantining fish proactively. It is all apart of the hobby learn and grow. I had a fish die on me from parasitic worms... he stopped putting on weight and eventually died. At the time I did not know what was wrong. Then when my purple tang started to look skinny and appeared to be heading in that direction I pulled him out of the display and put him in a quarantine 20 long with just pvc pipe and dosed medicine to kill the worms and he got fat and happy and is with me today. I tell this story because after learning from my mistake and saving my purple tang I felt a better about losing my first o e because I had learned from the mistake and used it to save another fishes life. So don't be hard on yourself learn from your mistakes and when you save your next fish you will feel better about this experience because you learned from it. Go over to Humble.fish forum and just read read read

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry to hear... it has happened to the best of us even when we try to do everything to save them. At this point I would look into proper qt techniques and have a plan in place for if and when this happens again. And expand upon your knowledge of properly quarantining fish proactively. It is all apart of the hobby learn and grow. I had a fish die on me from parasitic worms... he stopped putting on weight and eventually died. At the time I did not know what was wrong. Then when my purple tang started to look skinny and appeared to be heading in that direction I pulled him out of the display and put him in a quarantine 20 long with just pvc pipe and dosed medicine to kill the worms and he got fat and happy and is with me today. I tell this story because after learning from my mistake and saving my purple tang I felt a better about losing my first o e because I had learned from the mistake and used it to save another fishes life. So don't be hard on yourself learn from your mistakes and when you save your next fish you will feel better about this experience because you learned from it. Go over to Humble.fish forum and just read read read
I wanted to remind you to Quarantine the remaining fish with copper and Prazipro. Also - I would recommend that you use some of the excellent references here on the site - on the fish disease treatment forum. There are multiple stickies that cover every aspect of disease treatment and prevention!! Good luck with the rest of your fish!!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back