Simon’s (Mostly Conceptual) 1,600 Build

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never had a build last more than 4 years. Sometimes the result of a house move, but usually due to boredom and the itch to upgrade. Reef tank is like a closet - crap just expands to fill the available space. I’ve got a one year old 450, and it’s eseentially full. If the past is any guage for the future, it’s got about another 3 years to go. Might as well start planning and collecting for the next one. I already know it will be huge - nominally 14’ x 5’ x 36”, so a little short of 1,600 gallons. Built a plywood tank many years ago, and itching to do one again. I’ll show a few diagrams and thoughts about potential equipment in subsequent posts. I’m a veteran DiYer, so looking to design and build rather than buy where possible.

This will be a glacial gestation, thus ‘conceptual’ in the title. To be continued .....

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds great and looking forward to reading it and of course the pictures!! Lol

I keep thinking about a massive tank, and so far have managed to ‘control’ myself.........

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be following along on this one for sure!

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to rain on your parade, but I've often envisaged a large ply build like yours, but building it out of concrete blocks just seems like such less of a headache

:)

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to rain on your parade, but I've often envisaged a large ply build like yours, but building it out of concrete blocks just seems like such less of a headache

:)

There’s no ‘parade’ to rain on .... unless you meant conceptual rain. Not really sure at what point concrete becomes preferred over wood. I’m only talking 1,600 ish .... not 20,000 like Wann’s tank.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thinking on this so far ....

1. Tank - Doubled up 3/4” plywood on all sides and bottom. Single thickness plywood euro-brace on top with cutouts like an acrylic tank. Front viewing panes dual 3/4” 7’x36”. Central external pillar to brace 14’ length; also on back. Plywood ‘micro-lams’ on sides as braces as necessary.
2. My current PW250 as main pump won’t suffice, so probably something like a dolphin amp master 4750; or perhaps there will be a Vectra XL1 by then.
3. Skimmer isn’t a function of volume, but bio load. May be able to still use my MTC Power Pro, but if extra is needed I also have a HSA1000 ‘stretch’ mothballed.
4. I’d anticipate having areas of this tank for reef structures, but also a lot of open areas. No need to light the latter as the former. I’m planning to gradually replace my current Kessil spots with the new models so I’ll have lots of lights in hand (I’m mostly out of the selling equipment game these days, too many moaner/groaners).
5. Circulation is the wildcard. MP60s work OK on an eight foot tank, but aren’t going to cut it on 14’. If I was even inclined to spend silly $$$ on hydrowizards, they’re an in tank monstrosity. Going to have to noodle this one over. Perhaps more closed loop pumps, or even use MP60 across the width of the tank rather than the length. Maybe a Carlson device on steroids.
6. Still thinking about the overflow (though got an idea cooking).

To be continued ......

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely following along.

Built many plywood tanks over the years. I won't but in, but if you run into an issue...

Can't wait to see this take shape.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on the "plywood microlams" please? What are you thinking for a base? Also how are you dealing with getting the weight on your footings?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Built many plywood tanks over the years. I won't but in, but if you run into an issue.

Please do butt in. I built a 300 plus plywood tank years ago, and it was not a great success. Ended up oozing and was scrapped after only about 3 years. I’ve got a picture of it around somewhere. I think the main problems were poor choice of plywood (face grain splitting) and the wrong coating (Pratt and lambert epoxy paint). I’ve plenty of time to iterate this back and forth.

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do butt in. I built a 300 plus plywood tank years ago, and it was not a great success. Ended up oozing and was scrapped after only about 3 years. I’ve got a picture of it around somewhere. I think the main problems were poor choice of plywood (face grain splitting) and the wrong coating (Pratt and lambert epoxy paint). I’ve plenty of time to iterate this back and forth.

I would love to be of assistance. If I lived closer I would be there every weekend once it started so I could help out. :D

Thus far, it sounds like you have a good handle on things. I would, however, do a center 10 foot window and a 3 footer on either side. Having a center post would be very distracting. IMHO.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you elaborate on the "plywood microlams" please? What are you thinking for a base? Also how are you dealing with getting the weight on your footings?

Haven’t given the latter two much thought yet. I built my current stand for the 450, and also for the prior 265, with plywood-micro lams for all the horizontal members and it worked really well. Ruler flat and almost no deflection even with my 260 pounds standing on the center of an unsupported 8’ span. Probably plywood micro lams is the wrong term. I just ripped 8” widths of 3/4” ply and glued and screwed them together to form a 2 1/4” thick beam. Much stiffer, and less likely to warp/twist, than a 2x8 stud. Thinking something like that (maybe 6” beans) would outperform dimensional lumber as braces on the sides of a plywood tank.

Last edited:

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a fairly comprehensive stocking plan now, what would you like to keep in this next build?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, conceptually .....

The thing I’d like to be able to do, but cannot really in even a 450, is have a ‘roving’ gang of yellow tangs (nominally 10). Beyond that mostly just stick with what I have ..... with just a lot more space.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder how many holes I can grind in the bottom of a 30L?

IMG_1537.jpg

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Conceptual layout. Going to make some concrete foundations for the reef structures so I can go a bit taller (perhaps to 42") pushing the display closer to 2,000 gallons (why not, it's conceptual LOL)

Aquascape.jpg

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, this is going to be sick. Where will the tank be located? a side view wall would be killer next to the main reef. anemone island is a fun concept. What kinds are you planning?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one, a large magnifica. Already have it, and when/if this tank moves from conceptual to practical it'll be twice as big as it is today.

Jacked Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just one, a large magnifica. Already have it, and when/if this tank moves from conceptual to practical it'll be twice as big as it is today.

A h. magnifica? Like one of the hardest things to keep in captivity magnifica? Your tanks just keep getting better and better.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back