OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Designing a big overflow for a big tank …..

IMG_1609.jpg

IMG_1606.jpg

Dual, mirror-image 36" skim boxes from EMS to feed a single external 'box'.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, eventually. I like to experiment so I'll putter around on this for a long while (and collect things like skimmers as I find them). Certainly none of the equipment that has warranties will be bought any time soon - don't want them expiring in the box :D. I'll probably redesign the overflow a bunch of times. Got a lot of old tanks sitting around to play with. Since my median tank duration is four years, and the current 450 is just one, I have time.

Last edited:

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow....So I get it now. You are going to use that little tank as the external box. If you are going to butt it right up against the tank, you may need some acrylic spacers so it stands away from the tank enough that the trim doesn't interfere. You just sandwich one between two gaskets, and you can stack them until you run out of bulkhead length.

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think I would create a full length trough all the way along the back of the tank, that way all 6 bulkheads could flow into it, and have the drains offset so that they dump right down into the sump where you want them.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holiday ‘project’ is to straighten up the workshop so I can recover the dining room for X-Mas. Not hoarders lol, but collecting orphan aquarium gear has its storage challenges. Got some ideas about how to connect skim boxes to the external tank. Requires a trip to HD and then some testing. That 30L pictured above is a very old tank I had sitting around, so to a degree it’s sacrificable. Not sure how well it’ll take four holes for 2” bulkheads on the one side. Only one way to find out.

Since the tank concept is plywood, likely dual thickness 3/4” marine ply with appropriate bracing (particularly on the long dimension), the external box is going to be at least 6” proud of the back. Have an idea about how to do this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally think I would create a full length trough all the way along the back of the tank, that way all 6 bulkheads could flow into it, and have the drains offset so that they dump right down into the sump where you want them.

Yeah, I’ve thought about that as a possibility.

U

User1

View Badges
While I have a pretty large overflow box - I still don't know why - if I was to do it again I'd just go a full length true coast to coast overflow with a smooth weir. Then lines run straight shot to sump and return lines however you want.

garbled

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered a Tunze Masterstream for the water movement? I think they still make them, and they are pretty monstrous.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, monstrous they are LOL. Maybe by the time this tank goes from concept to reality there’ll be other options. Were I doing it tomorrow, I’d probably just deploy an array of MP60s. Less egregious in tank profile and more flow/$.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about a couple of 1.5" Sea Swirls in the mix for some oscillating random flow added in there somewhere? Their flow rate is listed as 1500-6500gph.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is cool. Seems like "conceptual" is just a title... this thing is in the planning stages. Love it! :0)

U

User1

View Badges
What about a couple of 1.5" Sea Swirls in the mix for some oscillating random flow added in there somewhere? Their flow rate is listed as 1500-6500gph.

Either 3d print or buy vnc's nozels and I think it would work great. I've always had Sea Swirls. I was using them back in 2000 the 3/4" size and currently running a pair of 1" on my 210. Maybe set it up with a closed loop and ocean motion thrown in.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I saw that for sale on MR, I think. Was that custom? You know you’ve gone too far when the skimmer is taller than you are.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 16 17.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 49 52.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.6%
Back