OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank turned a year old a couple of weeks ago. Ticking along nicely for the most part. Some of the SPS colonies are getting too large and creating some shading problems so I have started to prune some of them. Lost a large pink birdsnest to RTN, but frags of it elsewhere in the system are fine. Now up to 117 fish. I continue to stink at taking pictures. These are a bit washed out.

IMG_0223.JPG

IMG_0222.JPG

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some shots with flash. Overall not a good representation of how the tank looks to the naked eye, but it does highlight some of the fish. Purple and gem are mostly tolerating each other now .... as opposed to the former attempting to shred the latter.

IMG_0215.JPG

IMG_0207.JPG

U

User1

View Badges
Looks nice. The regal is big. On my wish list. One would think you would see nothing but damsels knowing how many you have yet they blend in pretty well outside of seeing one or two here and there.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks nice. The regal is big. On my wish list. One would think you would see nothing but damsels knowing how many you have yet they blend in pretty well outside of seeing one or two here and there.

Funny, I thought the exact same thing. They show up in the videos I’ve recorded, but mostly disappear in the photos.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still touch-and-go on the Quoyi. It picks, but doesn't eat much otherwise. Rock Beauty was a 'cheat' as I got it from a local reefer already eating. It picks a bit, but no more than any of my dwarf angels. I think if you keep angels, you cannot get too OCD about picking. I also don't keep any fleshy polyped corals.

U

User1

View Badges
I've seen a couple regals on LA/DD the last couple of days. They keep calling to me. Going to wait another 6 months to a year I think for the tank to mature more. Seeing yours above isn't helping any :D

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that is a fish worth paying the DD premium. I’ve been able to get the last couple I’ve had feeding on those New Era grazer rings.

U

User1

View Badges
I think that is a fish worth paying the DD premium. I’ve been able to get the last couple I’ve had feeding on those New Era grazer rings.

Yeah - I seem to recall another forum's regal angel primer thread also said they had good success from them. That is why I was eye balling it. I think in another thread you said you can sign up for early notifications of new additions. I did and saw it there. My Pukani rock still has some maturing to do and what coral I moved over needs to fill out. I've not had a chance to add more coral but at least I can do that now.

More importantly I need to also have a QT in place and I don't yet. I've been pretty lucky with my fish I've ordered from them so far as well as a local pet club I use. They have a really great system in place. But with the regal and blue leopard wrasse on my list I'd like to have a better chance at success. Seems like a good mix - Regal, trio of Blue Leopard Wrasses if possible, and a bunch of damsels if you leave any to the rest of us :D

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and a bunch of damsels if you leave any to the rest of us :D

LOL ….. I'm out of the damsel hoarding game ….. even for an OCD fish-keeper like me, 50 plus is sufficient.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bro this reef is great! Very very well done!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all. The good news is that this tank has mostly gone very well; the bad is that I’m out of space. Even a 450 gets to point that it’s overcrowded .... and I still covet a few more fish. Oh the cruelty ....

VJV

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still touch-and-go on the Quoyi. It picks, but doesn't eat much otherwise. Rock Beauty was a 'cheat' as I got it from a local reefer already eating. It picks a bit, but no more than any of my dwarf angels. I think if you keep angels, you cannot get too OCD about picking. I also don't keep any fleshy polyped corals.

Just catching up on my reading and stumbled across this post. My Quoyi Parrot (adult) would eat Hikari Seaweed Extreme pellets from my hand! He literally devoured them. Not too interested in frozen though.

Not sure if you tried this or not as I have not finished reading but wanted to throw this out in case you haven’t.

Amazing tank and fish selection [emoji106]

U

User1

View Badges
Thanks all. The good news is that this tank has mostly gone very well; the bad is that I’m out of space. Even a 450 gets to point that it’s overcrowded .... and I still covet a few more fish. Oh the cruelty ....

I was at a store this weekend and guess what - they are out of damsels. Had a sign on the tank saying if interested message @ca1ore ;) Just kidding. They actually had a very nice, and healthy, and eating, Regal. I thought of your picture and then my tank - how it could really use this Regal and how it must have been a sign to buy it.

Sadly I passed. While it looked great and no visible signs of duress I've read that they really should be observed in a QT which I do not have at the moment. It was about 3", well rounded body, no visible marks or fin damage. Reasonable price to boot at around 170 bucks. Someone in Roseville is going to be picking up a pretty nice fish.

Grossman90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was at a store this weekend and guess what - they are out of damsels. Had a sign on the tank saying if interested message @ca1ore ;) Just kidding. They actually had a very nice, and healthy, and eating, Regal. I thought of your picture and then my tank - how it could really use this Regal and how it must have been a sign to buy it.

Sadly I passed. While it looked great and no visible signs of duress I've read that they really should be observed in a QT which I do not have at the moment. It was about 3", well rounded body, no visible marks or fin damage. Reasonable price to boot at around 170 bucks. Someone in Roseville is going to be picking up a pretty nice fish.
What store in Roseville? I live in Marysville. Lol

Back