Simon's 450

U

User1

View Badges
What is the deal with the yellow (lemon peel?) angel there on the left side going in circles? Reflection aggression?

Always - nice tank and video.

Edit: I didn't see the gem tang? Moved?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem is there - you can see it swim along the sand right to left starting at about the 8 second mark. Spots just don't show in my poor quality phone camera. LemonPeel has always done that. Will do it for a while, then swim about, then do loops again - seems to like swimming up against the return flow (though no signs of gill issues). Dunno!

U

User1

View Badges
I didn't see that the first time. That's hilarious.

Yeah - I have to say it is always entertaining to watch @ca1ore video or listen to his commentary. There are hidden gems in there for sure. I mean it is a great looking tank and it is clear the passion and care is there. Complete package display to QT and everything in between.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend the LemonPeel though. It does quite a lot of damage to the SPS and definately inhibits polyp extension. It's busy ravaging a ponape birdsnest at the moment .... well, when not doing laps. Psycho fish; too bad it's so pretty.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread Simon.
I have a special interested in Flame angels. I know from previous conversations that you added two male Flame Angels to your DT. How are they doing? It would be nice if you can documented what happened, and if they can reverted to a pair. Your last video show two flame angels in your tank. Are these the two?
I heard from several reliable friends that this happened but did not experienced this first hand. If you can document this, it will be just as good as first hand experiences.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had some major bangers go through Stamford today and 1/3 of we are out of power. Good, first test for the new generator. So far so good. Even though I told the kids I got it for them ...... I really got it for the reef tank.
My wife and kids saw right through mine.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ps your pyramid butterflys inspired me to get one, but it did not make it thru QT.;Shifty

Oh, that's too bad. They are very hardy once acclimated, but can be a bit sensitive in getting there. They're prone to mouth damage and infections so using something like Nitrofuracin green powder in QT is a good idea. I lost at the first ones I tried years ago, all to mouth infections. Had a long thread on the topic on RC (along with now restored photobucket pics).

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great thread Simon.
I have a special interested in Flame angels. I know from previous conversations that you added two male Flame Angels to your DT. How are they doing? It would be nice if you can documented what happened, and if they can reverted to a pair. Your last video show two flame angels in your tank. Are these the two?
I heard from several reliable friends that this happened but did not experienced this first hand. If you can document this, it will be just as good as first hand experiences.

Minh, yes those are the two flames from that prior thread/conversation. Thanks for sharing your wisdom on the topic. Based on the pictures you provided, I'm pretty sure they are both males. I only introduced the second one to the display a few days ago. They chase each other around a bit, but there's no evidence yet of any significant fight-related damage. I will absolutely document what happens. Would be very cool if they revert to a male-females pair, and exhibit some of the spawning activity that you have shown with yours.

You'll also note a large magnifica anemone. Not the most strikingly colored specimen, but alive and thriving in no small part because of your published Cipro treatment regimen.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that's too bad. They are very hardy once acclimated, but can be a bit sensitive in getting there. They're prone to mouth damage and infections so using something like Nitrofuracin green powder in QT is a good idea. I lost at the first ones I tried years ago, all to mouth infections. Had a long thread on the topic on RC (along with now restored photobucket pics).
I am gonna have to look for that thread. Mine did have mouth damage. Sigh. I was getting some help in the fish treatment forum so I hope the three fish left make it thru QT.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not recommend the LemonPeel though. It does quite a lot of damage to the SPS and definately inhibits polyp extension. It's busy ravaging a ponape birdsnest at the moment .... well, when not doing laps. Psycho fish; too bad it's so pretty.
made me totally lol.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend having NGP on hand. I use it always as an initial med for all my QT tanks. It contains methylene blue, along with the antibiotics, to help ease any ammonia burn from shipping. Look for white edges to pyramid mouths as a sign of possible damage.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I strongly recommend having NGP on hand. I use it always as an initial med for all my QT tanks. It contains methylene blue, along with the antibiotics, to help ease any ammonia burn from shipping. Look for white edges to pyramid mouths as a sign of possible damage.
Thank you. I will be better prepared when I order the next one. I will QT it by itself I think.

iReefer12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Simon, what skimmer do you use on this tank?

Another random question. Do you just do a single dose of NGP on fish arrival? Or follow the instructions and do a whole course (10 doses/10 days)

I tried NGP and it wiped out the bacteria population in the QT and ammonia went insane.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Modified MTC PowerPro recirculating skimmer; just one, initial dose of NGP.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of fish shots ….

IMG_0055.JPG

IMG_0069.JPG

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back