Simon's 450

Oshengems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know you had a build threat this tank is simply AMAZING!!! I hope that angel and wrase get in there soon! The wrasse is going to love the space he was swimming more aggressively over the past 3-4 months I know the space in my 75g was driving him insane! Definitely following their threat!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Didn’t know you had a build threat this tank is simply AMAZING!!! I hope that angel and wrase get in there soon! The wrasse is going to love the space he was swimming more aggressively over the past 3-4 months I know the space in my 75g was driving him insane! Definitely following their threat!

I typically keep them in my QT system until they're eating. Display is highly competitive, and newly acclimating fish don't fare well.

U

User1

View Badges
I commend you on your self control LOL. What's the old joke about willpower - 'I have plenty of willpower; it's won't power I lack'

You too kind - don't let me fool you :D Just your thread, and others, and all of you who post in the primer threads all pretty much lay out the best way to have success with this fish. Similar to the blue leopard wrasses. Both of which I want so it is actually forcing me for once to set up a proper QT environment and process. This is long over due anyway if truth be told. I've had good luck using fresh water dips, etc but has the stock list increases why take a chance, right?

@Grossman90 it called "Your Reef Aquarium" on 199 Cirby Way. First time I've been there. Small. Located in the little shopping center. Mostly sells corals and frags. Prices seemed ok and I'd go back when ready and purchase some. Several have the plugs covered with new growth so clearly a better chance rather than something just cut, glued, and stuff on a plug. Fish didn't look bad. The Regal was nice and easy to see. Purple tang nice price but was small, thin, and didn't look the best. If I had a QT I probably would have picked that up and the regal. Seems family run although few people in there so I didn't get a chance to talk directly with the owner. Like I said my first time there and I'll be going back to pick up some cheaper frags to add to my tank once it is ready. If you are in the area may not be a bad place to check out.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought you would jump on these!

Wish I was ready for them...
Screenshot_20181106-183330_Chrome.jpg

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see those ..... was tempted, but too much business travel this month to be able to properly deal with any new fish. They look nice though. Never actually seen one in person.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a Triton ICP analysis on my tank water. Li is high, but that seems de rigeur for IO salt. Everything else is right on target …. except P/PO4 is high. Guess I haven't checked it in a while. May need to break out the GFO.

IMG_1531.jpg

Last edited:

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran a Triton ICP analysis on my tank water. Li is high, but that seems de rigeur for IO salt. Everything else is right on target …. except P/PO4 is high. Guess I haven't checked it in a while. May need to break out the GFO.

IMG_1531.jpg
Is there a link to the details pls

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

IMG_1531.jpg

What was your Iodine and Potassium and do you dose anything for either of them?

How often and what % are your water changes?

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do dose Iodine, otherwise I cannot keep it in the acceptable range. As I noted, Lithium is always high, which I attribute to the use of IO salt. I think that's also the reason for slightly elevated Copper. Magnesium is on the high side of the acceptable range, so probably nothing to do there; though I have stopped using dolomite supplement in my CaRx. P/PO4 is higher than I had expected; I may run GFO again. My chaeto is not growing, so I suspect the tank may be nitrate starved; haven't tested for NO3 in a while.

I only do modest water changes - nominally 45 gallons via AWS over two weeks. Total system volume is 700 gallons. Very high fish load, probably too high, with 12-15 cube equivalents of food daily.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I do dose Iodine, otherwise I cannot keep it in the acceptable range. As I noted, Lithium is always high, which I attribute to the use of IO salt. I think that's also the reason for slightly elevated Copper. Magnesium is on the high side of the acceptable range, so probably nothing to do there; though I have stopped using dolomite supplement in my CaRx. P/PO4 is higher than I had expected; I may run GFO again. My chaeto is not growing, so I suspect the tank may be nitrate starved; haven't tested for NO3 in a while.

I only do modest water changes - nominally 45 gallons via AWS over two weeks. Total system volume is 700 gallons. Very high fish load, probably too high, with 12-15 cube equivalents of food daily.

Thanks for the reply. What Iodine do you dose and how often? Mine is always low and I want to start dosing something slowly, do you do anything for potassium? Yours looks pretty perfect in that test too along with Iodine

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loaded the wrong data above; now fixed. I actually do dose quite a few things, in addition to running the CaRx. Tech-I, Strontium/Molybdenum, Essential Elements, Potassion-P and Ferrion. Old adage was 'don't dose what you cannot test for' but of course now we CAN test for these things. I used to do Triton annually, but this was the first time since 2016. Only major shift has been with P/PO4. I-group are all a bit low. All dosed items via GHL Doser 2 in two hour intervals. The only thing I test for regularly is alkalinity, maintained around 9 dKH. I do need to test for NO3 again just to see.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Loaded the wrong data above; now fixed. I actually do dose quite a few things, in addition to running the CaRx. Tech-I, Strontium/Molybdenum, Essential Elements, Potassion-P and Ferrion. Old adage was 'don't dose what you cannot test for' but of course now we CAN test for these things. I used to do Triton annually, but this was the first time since 2016. Only major shift has been with P/PO4. I-group are all a bit low. All dosed items via GHL Doser 2 in two hour intervals. The only thing I test for regularly is alkalinity, maintained around 9 dKH. I do need to test for NO3 again just to see.

Thank you!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a CaRx? What's your experience been? I think the reactor certainly helps to provide much, but clearly not all.

Scrubber_steve

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use a CaRx? What's your experience been? I think the reactor certainly helps to provide much, but clearly not all.
No, i dose. My tanks not big enough for CaRx. But I'm thinking i might upgrade one day & I'm considering it.

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I really like the damsels you have.

Do you think I could add around 10 yellow tail damsels to my 180 gallon DT? Right now the smaller fish I have are 2 clownfish and 2 blue chromis. Will they bother either of those? Or should I wait till my SPS grow more into colonies?

tank.jpg

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 34.9%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back