OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the aeolid nudies were only in the frag tank, which only contained a few monti frags so I’ve tossed them. Just not worth the risk of these things getting up into the display. Trying to work out how they got there. Must have come in as eggs since I dip all new frags and inspect with a magnifying glass (concession to age).

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone needs to split already already …. starting to encroach. About to 'eat' one of my favorite green acros.

E0E1A4EB-66DA-43B3-AE50-261D8363E7DE.jpeg

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It appears that the aeolid nudies were only in the frag tank, which only contained a few monti frags so I’ve tossed them. Just not worth the risk of these things getting up into the display. Trying to work out how they got there. Must have come in as eggs since I dip all new frags and inspect with a magnifying glass (concession to age).
I am going to buy a magnifying glass with a light.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha, yeah, me too. A lighted ottoscope actually. Very useful tool for the macularly challenged.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some changes in equipment :

1. Have grown weary of the WAV buzzing cords so added two more Vortech MP60 to the tank - now have two on each end with a single MP40 and dual RPM on the back. Maybe not hydrowizard crazy, but the MP60s are flow monsters and I route the cords through the wooden trim cap so no aesthetic foul.
2. Need to wait for a couple of warmer days so I can test run the bigger MTC HSA3000 stretch skimmer; then onto the tank it goes.
3. My next project is then going to be switching to a heat exchanger for both heating in the W and cooling in the S. I have oil heated hot water and a well with 50 degree cold water so should work well. I’ve become enamored of the stuff that Bill Wann of Aquarium Engineering makes so having him make the exchanger and control system for me. I’ll then sweat/pex it in myself. Been looking for a reason to breakout the torch. I’m tired of all those stick heaters and the big, noisy chiller. I figure a 3 year energy payback.
4. Still patiently awaiting the Neptune Trident (Alk monitoring, makes breakfast, takes out the garbage, yells at my kids to get off the x-box).

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing a couple of replumbing jobs because, well just because. About to leave for the hardware store for the third time :(. Clearly my planning skills have atrophied.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reef is finally looking acceptable. :0) Ha!!! It's pretty amazing!! Looking forward to the Wann additions.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to have to do some serious pruning on this tank. Middle section crumpled last night and now I have a bazillion new frags :(. Had been eyeing this one colony and thinking that I’m should chop it a bit. Unfortunately thinking never turned to doing. No biggie, tank actually was looking overgrown which I really don’t like. Green slimer needs a serious trim as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemone needs to split already already …. starting to encroach. About to 'eat' one of my favorite green acros.

E0E1A4EB-66DA-43B3-AE50-261D8363E7DE.jpeg

Mag has been looking strange for a few days and today looks absolutely awful. I have had them split before so hopefully that’s what’s happening. Hard to watch though LOL.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meh, not splitting ….. it ate a large fish ….

Viner87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mag has been looking strange for a few days and today looks absolutely awful. I have had them split before so hopefully that’s what’s happening. Hard to watch though LOL.

That’s a beast! How do you manage to keep it next to SPS or any coral for that matter? My BTA kills anything anywhere near it [emoji36]

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You told me they didn't really eat fish! Right? :eek:

Yes, I did didn't I. It's curious because mostly mags don't eat fish - at least not healthy ones. In this particular case, the fish in question had been losing weight for a while. My guess is that it became lethargic and wandered into the anemone.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back