Simon's 450

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been meaning to ask, but how are those damselfish doing in the display? In the videos, they seem to be coexisting just fine...

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're doing fine. Hard to count so I'm unsure whether all the ones I put in are still there, but I think it's close. A resounding success.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my issues with this hobby, well any hobby actually, is I’m just not good at standing back and appreciating success. Now that this tank is essentially complete with a full load of fish and corals, equilibrium is boring. Thus my inability to resist tinkering with the equipment. Last month it was a new and improved (mostly as a consequence of bigger) algal turf scrubber. This month and next it’s going to be a bigger skimmer (pictured a few posts back). I grew up in this hobby along with the Wojcik brothers so MTC has always been my favored hi-end equipment manufacturer. Doors closed now, unfortunately, but used stuff still appears occasionally. Downside is that if I want modifications I either have to outsource them or learn to work with acrylic myself.

Part of the bigger skimmer will be installing an extension. Checked in with a few folks affiliated with the hobby about making it but either they never replied or have a significant backlog (makes sense that those most capable would be in higher demand). Never having been blessed with patience, DIY seems the most expeditious route. Plus, the more I think about it’s, seems like fun - how hard can it be? Famous last words LOL.

I have a separate thread on converting this puppy a recirculator, so I’ll not regurgitate that here, other than a picture or two. Here’s the neck cleaner installed.

2CD7796C-9A60-412C-B086-630A35195EB6.png

Desert Sea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
... Now that this tank is essentially complete with a full load of fish and corals, equilibrium is boring. Thus my inability to resist tinkering with the equipment....
Simon, being able to have the tank on autopilot, which provides you the ability to tinker, is a great thing. Imagine where this hobby would be if those who reached equilibrium didn’t mess with a good thing. Tinkering helps propel the hobby forward. Tinker away my friend!!

“If it ain’t broke, break it!”

Besides, you know what works, you can always fall back on that should the tinkering not pan out.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nevermind...I have found lots of thread to keep me entertained. ;Smuggrin

‘ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED .....’ ..... quote from one of my favorite guilty pleasures movie. Hope the recouperation is going well.

reacclimating 2 the hobby

patience is... oh look an acro pack fs!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread just killed two hours of my work day, but was way worth it. You have managed to keep so many fish that you would otherwise hear not to attempt in a reef tank and successfully. Been trying to dwindle down my stock list to "safe" fish, but you may have inspired me to go outside the box (get a social box too). Amazing tank...

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you enjoyed the journey. Sometimes I think I’m just posting to myself (the online version of talking to ones self). Getting a bigger tank is ALL about being able to squeeze in more fish.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to leak test it, but at some point in the next couple of weeks this beast will be a skimmin’ on my tank. Made the 24” body extension tube myself. Turned out to not be all that hard at all.

8261FB50-FFFC-41D0-9573-DBBFEB4CB36B.png

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need to leak test it, but at some point in the next couple of weeks this beast will be a skimmin’ on my tank. Made the 24” body extension tube myself. Turned out to not be all that hard at all.

8261FB50-FFFC-41D0-9573-DBBFEB4CB36B.png

My wife would think I got her some amazing new carpet cleaner, LOL

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't drink the water when you are done smoking out of that thing! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

Oh, that was way funnier than mine. And sadly I had something that resembled this contraption once too. LOL, I blew it!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been losing some monti frags in the frag tank; now I know why. Bugs!!!!

893F0E7E-20D8-4C67-B997-C1B3E2E009DB.jpeg

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the wrasses will keep them under control in the DT (I don’t see any there) but none in the frag tank. Now that the display is fully stocked I’ve been contemplating shutting down the frag tank. MEN will accelerate that LOL.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't drink the water when you are done smoking out of that thing! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

That’s too funny. Buddy of mine said the same thing when he’s saw it. Cheech and Chong eat your heart out.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%

Back