Simon's 450

U

User1

View Badges
Yeah, wasn't doing well in the main tank. Too much flow, too many nippers …. who knows. Much happier here in and amongst the mangroves (or will be if they grow).

One of my favorites - one of the corals that got me into the hobby. I had a rather large one back when I had a 100 gallon up and running. At first it didn't like the placement or flow similar to what you said. It was middle of the tank in some rock work. Went from 3 polyps / mouths to a single until I did some more research and ended up placing it on the sandbed leaning on a rock. Took off and grew crazy thereafter mixed in with some Sargassum algae in that part of the tank. Looking for one now actually - think the tank is about ready for one.

Personally I like the little side refugiums, deep sand beds, or mangrove grow outs. Looks nice.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My original plan was to have turtle grass/sea grass as well, but just cannot find it anymore.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is huge.

Yup. Grew an AT to almost 9” a while back. An ornery SOB .... not Sohal psychotic, but very intolerant. This on is a bit smaller.

U

User1

View Badges
Yup. Grew an AT to almost 9” a while back. An ornery SOB .... not Sohal psychotic, but very intolerant. This on is a bit smaller.

I may have to send you my Lt. Tang. Come on, you can fit one more!!!!

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS

Been ‘grooming’ my new and improved ATS for almost 3 weeks and scraped it for the first time tonight. Been experimenting with a few different grow lights and I’ve settled on the 8” growstar as the better overall performer. Hoping to be able to remove/retire the old scrubber next week. Does appear, for the immediate future, that I’m going to need to scrape weekly.

2F6901C2-E53D-483E-BE6C-D253A07C4E37.png

evoque335i

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS

Been ‘grooming’ my new and improved ATS for almost 3 weeks and scraped it for the first time tonight. Been experimenting with a few different grow lights and I’ve settled on the 8” growstar as the better overall performer. Hoping to be able to remove/retire the old scrubber next week. Does appear, for the immediate future, that I’m going to need to scrape weekly.

Wow that work flawlessly mite have to build me one.

Victoria M

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS

Wow. That is crazy. I have been impressed with chaeto growth, as I have shared. Now if the corals grow I will be happy...

U

User1

View Badges
ATS

Have you ever used or reintroduced the growth for algae grazers such has tangs?

I've considered adding an ATS a couple times either the traditional DIY such as yours or the trendy floating units that are starting to be made but in the end going with a refugium hybrid instead. I have a older 20 or so gallon cube that I'm going to drill a couple 1" bulk heads in and grow some Hawaiian macro algae IPSF sells. I've used it years ago and it grew well and my tangs went bat crazy for it. I'm not sure how much nutrients it actually exported but it grew faster than what they could eat so it had to be doing something I guess. This way I get a two for one. Hopefully some nutrient export and then food :D

Looks good :D

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one piece of advice, which I religiously FAIL to follow, is to make these things easy to access and clean. This one I have to stand on the top step of my step stool, while clinging to a copper heating pipe with one leg stuck out for counterbalance ….. in violation of countless OSHA regulations no doubt.

OP
OP
ca1ore

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you ever used or reintroduced the growth for algae grazers such has tangs?

The stuff that gets scraped off is very messy so I don't bother. Industrial-sized nori pack from the local oriental food store is cheap …. and mostly not messy.

U

User1

View Badges
The one piece of advice, which I religiously FAIL to follow, is to make these things easy to access and clean. This one I have to stand on the top step of my step stool, while clinging to a copper heating pipe with one leg stuck out for counterbalance ….. in violation of countless OSHA regulations no doubt.

Would you like me to stop by and do a no-notice spot inspection? Free of charge.

Er, no. Maybe a clipping or two of your green slimer thingy after the next trim.

U

User1

View Badges
How big is it? Mine is getting pretty huge as well. About 8" long but nearly 1.5" wide. :0)

Probably darn near the same size. About 7" with about 1 to 1.5" width. It eats a lot. Prefers purple nori over green. His/her tail is pretty interesting. I'm not sure if these fish have streamers or just a odd shaped tail. It is a model citizen though and friendly. It really likes my skunk cleaner shrimp although it probably doesn't return the love. He is the only fish in the tank that gives the shrimp second though - the shrimp actually moves away from him now - it is so sad to see ;)

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably darn near the same size. About 7" with about 1 to 1.5" width. It eats a lot. Prefers purple nori over green. His/her tail is pretty interesting. I'm not sure if these fish have streamers or just a odd shaped tail. It is a model citizen though and friendly. It really likes my skunk cleaner shrimp although it probably doesn't return the love. He is the only fish in the tank that gives the shrimp second though - the shrimp actually moves away from him now - it is so sad to see ;)

Yes, the tail on mine is similar, getting very long... from what I've read it seems to be a male. I love the bright blue edges. It's nice to hear from someone else that has a LT. I always wanted one and it seems there are few people that keep them. It's such an intriguing fish and can be extremely beautiful in color. Mine will turn nearly black at times and looks magnificent. It does chase the pyroferus at times but doesn't bully him (anymore). Wondering how big it'll get in my 300.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back