Simple DIY Hose Adaptor for MAG Pump

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Joined
Mar 22, 2012
Messages
12,342
Reaction score
25,559
Location
Sayreville, NJ
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made one of these a while ago and was recently at a fellow reefers house and noticed his jury-rigged connection of his MAG pump to a hose to do water changes. So I told him I’d make him one. This simple DIY takes two parts and costs about $2.50 and it allows you to connect a regular hose to your MAG pump (with a 1/2 inch NPT threaded end) (I use a Pythontm, which is a clear hose with a regular hose connection, but a regular garden hose will work just fine). Note that these types of adaptors are already available in BRASS, but we wouldn’t go there. I could not find these parts at Home Depot, but did find them at Lowes.

Parts:

1 - Hose Adaptor (3/4 hose x ½ st. adaptor CPVC)(P/N 53128) $1.28
1 - ½ adaptor (1/2 female NPT x ½ slip CPVC)(P/N 50305) $1.02

Here’s what they look like:




By the way, this is CPVC, not PVC. It is a light tan color (not white) and its application is hot and cold water supply.

Simply glue the two pieces together and you now have an adaptor to hook a hose up to your MAG pump (or any other pump that has ½ NPT threading).




There might (most likely) be one more adaptation that you will need for this to fit. If your MAG pump has the threads below the body of the pump, you will have to remove some of the plastic on the adaptorso that it will fit. The threaded portion of the pump is too close to the body of the pump. I used a rasp and just kept going around until it was able to fit past the body of the pump. Here it is hooked up to the pump.

 
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 6 24.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new