Simple, Inexpensive Ideas for Large Sump for 500G Reef

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I copied ya haha. Hope that's cool. How wide is it in real life? The website says 31" for the 100 gallon and 39" for the 150 gallon. Does that seem like its pretty accurate to you?

I measure the 100G ST at 31.5" wide. My stand from Derek is 32" wide, so I had .5" of clearance if I had went that way. I also have the 150G version of the same tank on hand. I purchased it first, but discovered the dimensions quoted online were completely wrong once I got it home. It is still going to get used in the system, but only as a frag tank.

Dennis

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t think it’s great to try and save a few hundred bucks, with what will be the heart of your filtration and equipment maintenance. You have a 500g- it’s going to easily end up 5 figures just in hardware. Better to not pinch pennies now and regret it later.

While I agree with you that it's important to not skimp on the important stuff, I just struggle with spending 4 figures on a glorified "container for stuff". If I spent a couple thousand on a fancy acylic box, versus a hundred bucks on a stock tank, do I really lose anything other than the cool aesthetics that come with the fancy box?

I think for me it's as much a practical viewpoint as a financial one. You know what I mean? It's not a showpiece, it's probably going to be dirty more often than not, it just needs to serve the very basic function of storing the biological filter of the aquarium and provide a place to dose, and flow turnover. Am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With diy sumps some things that can be a struggle.

these are the big ones for me.

Noise level - most commercial sumps have some way of reducing this. My trigger sump has a set water height for the sock compartment, stops the sound of falling water from the overflow.

skimmer height control - some skimmers this matters more than others.
image.jpg

i used this on my diy sump to compensate.

Ability to see what you are doing - inside a stand that black stock tank, is going to make work behind the tank a touch cave experience. Benefit of a clear box.

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With diy sumps some things that can be a struggle.

these are the big ones for me.

Noise level - most commercial sumps have some way of reducing this. My trigger sump has a set water height for the sock compartment, stops the sound of falling water from the overflow.

skimmer height control - some skimmers this matters more than others.
image.jpg

i used this on my diy sump to compensate.

Ability to see what you are doing - inside a stand that black stock tank, is going to make work behind the tank a touch cave experience. Benefit of a clear box.

Hmmm, I didn't think about the lack of light, that's a good point.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least expensive

ive used these to qt koi and raise fry in.
Most sumps have baffle with holes for bubbles, I suppose you could fashion on in this thing but are they really needed? i think they call them bubble traps?

U

User1

View Badges
Most sumps have baffle with holes for bubbles, I suppose you could fashion on in this thing but are they really needed? i think they call them bubble traps?

Various names. Needed, depends. Something with that much space it may not be needed but depends on what is going in there. You could very well use cardboard to make a template to fit stock tank curves, then buy a sheet of pvc from lowes/hd and cut. Wouldn't be too difficult and would seal up nice without worry of expansion.

Could also use the plastic / pvc square pieces that people use for frags. Could also use it to hold/set filter pads, macro algae, and other things. Or just free flow it. These provide lots of options and an incredible price point. Used is another. Once thing I'd suggest is price the stock tank, plumbing bits, neatness, and DIY. Here is a rough estimate of cost. Then price out a sump from bender a, b, and c.

Now you can choose between them and it may not be that far apart. Best of luck.

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least expensive

ive used these to qt koi and raise fry in.

Molded Polyethylene, so is this HDPE or LDPE? Anyone used this as a sump for a long period ie >5 yrs?

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here is a option not yet brought to the table.

DIY a plywood sump with glass front. build it just like a plywood aquarium but a sump!?
not as cheap as the stock tank for sure but it could be a cool project for sure!

I have been think the same question in my head for a build down the road.
sure would be nice to have a fancy sump but I hear ya about the price.

have you checked out lifereef sumps and skimmers? I hear great thinks about there skimmers and sump too for that matter.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did DIY plywood sumps. If you do it... make sure you keep the insides flat with no features (fiberglass and epoxy is hard to deal with at corners, so minimize them). You can then use PVC sheets and silicone for baffles, sock holders, bulkheads etc... You can see a section in my build threat about how NOT to build plywood sumps. The cost of the epoxy is considerable though... for me it was neither easy or cheap - and considering the weekends lost on the project, I should have just put down the cash and bought something - or used a Rubbermaid trough.

I prefer to keep it rectangular in shape to minimize the footprint and simplify the baffles etc...

Lifereef makes great stuff.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did DIY plywood sumps. If you do it... make sure you keep the insides flat with no features (fiberglass and epoxy is hard to deal with at corners, so minimize them). You can then use PVC sheets and silicone for baffles, sock holders, bulkheads etc... You can see a section in my build threat about how NOT to build plywood sumps. The cost of the epoxy is considerable though... for me it was neither easy or cheap - and considering the weekends lost on the project, I should have just put down the cash and bought something - or used a Rubbermaid trough.

I prefer to keep it rectangular in shape to minimize the footprint and simplify the baffles etc...

Lifereef makes great stuff.

i'll have to check out your build thread . if i get to do the 300+ fish only in the basement I was thinking of DIY plywood for the sump but was wondering if I should just use the Rubbermaid or pony up for a custom sump or the very least a glass aquarium to be turned into a sump.

OP have you thought about a couple 40br each drilled for ext. RT pump to max the water volume that is an idea in the back on my mind as well.

please do let us know what you decide is right for you and your system.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back