Simple, Inexpensive Ideas for Large Sump for 500G Reef

ElussssvReefSD

Be Nice to Coral-Nippers!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

So after a few bumps in the road, back on track with my build. I will be having a 120x36x30 Miracles tank being built soon, but I need some advice regarding the sump design. I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a container that will be hidden from view all the time. While I am always willing to spend more to get high quality and reliable equipment, I do not feel like I need anything fancy or engineered to the nth degree for a sump. All I need is for it to be sturdy, accessible, leak-proof, not leach chemicals into the water and be roomy enough for a large refugium and equipment while still fitting underneath the stand. I could care less about what it looks like or how many fancy baffles it has etc.

My goal refugium size is 100-125 gallons, and will most likely be using a large external/recirculating protein skimmer. I wish there was space for a fish room, but alas, that's not in the cards at this time. I would just get a glass tank and DIY, but I'm clumsy and accident prone, and don't trust a petco glass tank to not spring a leak at some point. Seamless acrylic or PVC would be preferable, or even a rubbermaid container if it won't leach crap into the water.

Any of you along that same wavelength find a solution?

Deezill

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you don't mind a glass sump I would go with these guys because you can get a 100 or 200-gallon sump for cheap they take any size tank and make it a sump for you They will also customize it.
They also do acrylic if you prefer.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least expensive

ive used these to qt koi and raise fry in.

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so you went for the same sized Miracles tank as mine. Good choice. The Rubbermaid stock tank that Gareth linked will fit under the stand (assuming your stand came from Miracles and matches mine - 40" tall), but in my case the stock tanks is 25" tall and I felt it would limit my access too much. Mind you I have a walk platform behind the tank, so that also means accessing it on your hands and knees. If you have a different stand, then you will need to evaluate if the stock tank will fit. I have one here by the way. I purchased it intending it to be my sump and then changed my mine. Let me know if you need any dimensions as the online ones are terribly inaccurate in my experience.

Dennis

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Least expensive

ive used these to qt koi and raise fry in.

Oh my gosh, that is pretty much EXACTLY what I had in my brain haha. I must have been missing the "Stock Tank" part when searching.

So is it easy to plumb? That'd be my only concern.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use stock tanks and acrylic in my fish room :) cheap and sturdy.

IMG_20200112_170310.jpg

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah, so you went for the same sized Miracles tank as mine. Good choice. The Rubbermaid stock tank that Gareth linked will fit under the stand (assuming your stand came from Miracles and matches mine - 40" tall), but in my case the stock tanks is 25" tall and I felt it would limit my access too much. Mind you I have a walk platform behind the tank, so that also means accessing it on your hands and knees. If you have a different stand, then you will need to evaluate if the stock tank will fit. I have one here by the way. I purchased it intending it to be my sump and then changed my mine. Let me know if you need any dimensions as the online ones are terribly inaccurate in my experience.

Dennis

Yeah, I copied ya haha. Hope that's cool. How wide is it in real life? The website says 31" for the 100 gallon and 39" for the 150 gallon. Does that seem like its pretty accurate to you?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A decent option is to have miracles build you a glass sump, wouldn't be absurdly priced and could be shipped with your tank...

Yeah, that's the first thing I was going to do, but when I told Derek that I just want functionality the functionality of a plastic tub and don't care if it's ugly, he seemed personally offended and said, "no, it will def not be ugly LoL". :cool:

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh my gosh, that is pretty much EXACTLY what I had in my brain haha. I must have been missing the "Stock Tank" part when searching.

So is it easy to plumb? That'd be my only concern.
If you want it under your tank your options are limited because you need to account for the skimmer height. This was my issue. Mine is Miracles 120x48 footprint and the stock tank won’t work. Those dimensions are nominal. The best option is to have a tank company build you a glass sump to your specs. The second best option is a 135 gallon stock tank which is 72x18x22 I think. Install your own baffles. This is what I did.
Now, if I misread and you have a fish room, a series of Rubbermaid troughs would be a great idea.
39CFF55A-3BFA-4260-B431-4CD513CA2227.jpeg

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is in a fish room adjacent to the tank.
IMG_2052-L.jpg

Ah okay, so you have pipes dropping directly in from the top. I'm wondering if I'd have enough clearance for that... maybe I would need a taller stand, maybe 42"? Though knowing how prices are, that may wipe out any cost savings on the sump itself.

If I had an external protein skimmer sitting beside it, I would need the plumbing to come out of the top of the sump, then down into the skimmer. Would it be feasible you think to just plumb the skimmer outlet directly into the return pump? Or would that create too much pressure/flow through the skimmer?

OP
OP
ElussssvReefSD

ElussssvReefSD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want it under your tank your options are limited because you need to account for the skimmer height. This was my issue. Mine is Miracles 120x48 footprint and the stock tank won’t work. Those dimensions are nominal. The best option is to have a tank company build you a glass sump to your specs. The second best option is a 135 gallon stock tank which is 72x18x22 I think. Install your own baffles. This is what I did.
Now, if I misread and you have a fish room, a series of Rubbermaid troughs would be a great idea.
39CFF55A-3BFA-4260-B431-4CD513CA2227.jpeg

I see what you're saying. Would it be possible to set the ext skimmer next to the sump and plumb it through the top of the sump down into the skimmer inlet? Or am I not thinking of how an ext skimmer works correctly. I've only ever used a an in-sump skimmer before.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don’t think it’s great to try and save a few hundred bucks, with what will be the heart of your filtration and equipment maintenance. You have a 500g- it’s going to easily end up 5 figures just in hardware. Better to not pinch pennies now and regret it later.

mikeintoronto

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what you're saying. Would it be possible to set the ext skimmer next to the sump and plumb it through the top of the sump down into the skimmer inlet? Or am I not thinking of how an ext skimmer works correctly. I've only ever used a an in-sump skimmer before.
Do you currently have the skimmer?
Regardless, you can make anything work if you try hard enough but the truth is, and I’ll telling you this from experience, don’t bother with the shortcuts or the “easy way” because it actually won't save you any money. If you’re handy enough (and it’s not hard), add baffles to a stock tank. This is my preferred method. But a custom glass sump from even a lower end tank builder will make you so much happier. I’m assuming you’re trying to save money but there are modular sump companies you could try as well.
Ultimately I just plumbed into my laundry room so my headaches disappeared soon after.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

• I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.7%
Back