Simple leak detector to turn off return pump?

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any simple leak detectors that will turn off a return pump for when away from home? Most I found are just alarms. Maybe similar to this but as a leak sensor not optical :

Thanks

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be done with smarthome equipment, but I run that kind of setup with a full smarthome hub which will cost you a few hundred dollars. If you're gonna go that way, may as well just go with a tank controller,

There's Wifi leak sensors and wifi smart plugs, but I'm not sure how integrated you can get two separate devices to be. To get the full solution of automation and alerting, I think you'd need something like smartthings or a Vera hub.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No apex system? Can be accomplished very easy with that

ChuckTownReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the smart home items are really easy to get something up and running. Just go to Amazon and search for smart plugs or smart home items and you will stumble upon what your looking for.
I have a wifi leak detector that's sends alert to my phone. so then I can go to my smart plug that my return pump is plugged into and turn it off.
But just get on Amazon and go down the rabbit hole of smart home items on Amazon an you will come up with something.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get a smart water leak sensor and a smart plug. Smart water sensor notifys you of leak, you turn off return pump via app on phone that controls power to the smart plug.
Depending on cost of the leak sensor, the plug only adds another $10 to the cost.
Not automated but i think this is the closest and cheapest without an apex or controller.

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks ill look into the smart home items. No apex yet. My main issue is when im gone I usually don’t have service so an alert won’t do any good but better than nothing I guess. Putting a sump system together for the first time and can’t drill because it might be tempered glass so getting a cpr overflow with aqualifter. Little nervous so added peace of mind would be helpful.

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry! My CPR has only caused my reef to overflow twice.
Really? How did it happen? Did you have a aqua lifter attached? Is there a better way without drilling?

Daddy-o

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Redwood City, Ca. 94062 (San Francisco Bay Area)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a simple check if it is tempered with polarized sunglasses.
And yes, I have an AquaLifter - 2 in fact. I have 2 reefs with CPR boxes and Toms Aqualifters. It really doesnt take much crud to clog an aqualifter, and you need to constantly clear the nipple on the CPR boxes. Sometimes they have issues after a power outage as well. Drilling is so easy.
Cheers! Mark

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did happen to find this:

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Looks like its what you need. I didnt spend enough time on google lol
Been searching for hours this is the only thing like this without using apex or some hub. Just lucky I found it. I’ll have to see how good it works!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking the auto aqua optical sensor shutoff would be better and put it at the very top rim of the tank so it shuts off return pump before the display floods.
The water sensor would have to be placed somewhere dry and then only trips the circuit if it senses water....in this case it would be outside your tank. Id much rather have my return pump shutoff .5" away from overflowing :)

In the case of my last flood. My skimmer tipped over on the makeshift stand in the sump and it started pumping water onto the floor.
If the skimmer was plugged into the sensor you provided it would have worked better than an optical sensor.
I guess you just have to figure out what one works best for your scenario.

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can explain to you how to build one and send you a drawing if you want.A of the self version I don t know if it exist.
Any ideas are welcome. As i am brand new to the whole sump thing. I’ll have to see what the water level looks like too once it’s running. I have a rim on my tank so that kinda limits how high sensor can be. One of the pumps i was looking at comes with a float switch so if I can mount that somehow that might be best. Probably still going with leak sensor to cut power in emergency.

probably place return pump at a certain level too so can’t suck too much out of sump.

Reefrats

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes the smart home items are really easy to get something up and running. Just go to Amazon and search for smart plugs or smart home items and you will stumble upon what your looking for.
I have a wifi leak detector that's sends alert to my phone. so then I can go to my smart plug that my return pump is plugged into and turn it off.
But just get on Amazon and go down the rabbit hole of smart home items on Amazon an you will come up with something.

Which wifi leak detector are you using? I was looking at this one on amazon:

Fortunately my new reef octopus varios S4 came with a float switch that effectively turns off the pump when the water gets high (I tested it about 6 times last night lol).

Just looking for a back up until I get an apex. I'm new to all this and have a ton to buy.

OP
OP
Tjk

Tjk

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hydro check leak detector will shut the power off automatically (until you reset) But you won’t get any alerts. Its $80 off Amazon. After testing it seems to need to get fairly wet and not just damp ( tested by wet rag) probably works better on a hard floor but I have carpet. Not sure how others compare but would recommend the hydro check.

In my opinion if you are depending on a text alert by the time you get it and respond its too late. Especially if your out of cell range.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 51 52.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.2%
Back