Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to be an audiophile

Did you lose your hearing?

I still run a solid 6.1 with B&W 802d’s/HTM1/705’s x3 and a JL Fathom...... Couple amps, pre/pro/etc

I too have not given audio the attention I once did though!

As far as the skimmer, my new one is huge, also overkill for my tank, but unlike yours, mine is pretty dang noisy......

Lonster00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to replace my aging Reef Octopus skimmer with a new DC powered skimmer to have a quieter skimmer in my sump. After replacing my return pump (Eheim 1262) with a new Sicce sdc 7.0, pump noise was so much lower that the skimmer became the loudest thing in my sump by a large margin.
So off I went researching skimmers.
I almost pulled the trigger on three different skimmers trying to decide which would be better when I came across some reviews for the Simplicity skimmer. To my eyes it looked like a clone of the Skimz skimmer I was , thinking about buying, but was $100 cheaper.
Some more research later and I find reviews by people who have had several skimmers but love this one the best, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one.
One of the greatest features of this skimmer is that at the bottom of their web page is a phone number, that when called is answered by the owner, a very friendly guy who was only willing to help, this to me was HUGE, a real person at the other end of the product, just like Avast, another company with great support.

The most amazing thing is that this skimmer blows away my Reef Octopus, it is pulling so much more skimmate than the RO, Maybe because the RO was older , or maybe the Simplicity is a more efficient design? all I know is that my water is cleaner, and my tank is much quieter, uses less electricity and my wallet is fuller, a win win IMO.

I love my simplicity skimmer.........

Mike
Ive been in the hobby for 20 years and never used a skimmer..... I know. Never had a problem though. Now, my nitrates just arent staying down. I think my live rock is just getting full of crud. At any rate, I have been researching skimmers and going back and forth between the Reef Octopus and the Simplicity. I think I am going with the Simplicity, but I just wish they made it in a Recirculating Skimmer. I was wondering if anyone has set one of these in its own box inside the Sump, with a separate pump filling the box and overflowing, so it basically would operate like a recirculating Skimmer at the desired water height? I just want everything inside the sump so nothing ever leaks and also looking for stability with the Skimmer.

Lonster00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been in the hobby for 20 years and never used a skimmer..... I know. Never had a problem though. Now, my nitrates just arent staying down. I think my live rock is just getting full of crud. At any rate, I have been researching skimmers and going back and forth between the Reef Octopus and the Simplicity. I think I am going with the Simplicity, but I just wish they made it in a Recirculating Skimmer. I was wondering if anyone has set one of these in its own box inside the Sump, with a separate pump filling the box and overflowing, so it basically would operate like a recirculating Skimmer at the desired water height? I just want everything inside the sump so nothing ever leaks and also looking for stability with the Skimmer.

RO does make a recirculating skimmer, makes a very good skimmer with great C/S.
Hey Blue Spot Octopus:
I was looking at the RO Skimmer, but ultimately decided against it because the footprint was bigger and going to make it more difficult to adapt it to my system. Space is limited in the sump.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wanted to replace my aging Reef Octopus skimmer with a new DC powered skimmer to have a quieter skimmer in my sump. After replacing my return pump (Eheim 1262) with a new Sicce sdc 7.0, pump noise was so much lower that the skimmer became the loudest thing in my sump by a large margin.
So off I went researching skimmers.
I almost pulled the trigger on three different skimmers trying to decide which would be better when I came across some reviews for the Simplicity skimmer. To my eyes it looked like a clone of the Skimz skimmer I was , thinking about buying, but was $100 cheaper.
Some more research later and I find reviews by people who have had several skimmers but love this one the best, so I pulled the trigger and ordered one.
One of the greatest features of this skimmer is that at the bottom of their web page is a phone number, that when called is answered by the owner, a very friendly guy who was only willing to help, this to me was HUGE, a real person at the other end of the product, just like Avast, another company with great support.

The most amazing thing is that this skimmer blows away my Reef Octopus, it is pulling so much more skimmate than the RO, Maybe because the RO was older , or maybe the Simplicity is a more efficient design? all I know is that my water is cleaner, and my tank is much quieter, uses less electricity and my wallet is fuller, a win win IMO.

I love my simplicity skimmer.........

Mike
I have the same skimmer, give it a year, even after cleaning it, it will be the noisiest pump in your sump.

I'm looking at getting a higher quality pump, and 3d printing whatever adapters or bubble plates i need to make it quiet.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same skimmer, give it a year, even after cleaning it, it will be the noisiest pump in your sump.

I'm looking at getting a higher quality pump, and 3d printing whatever adapters or bubble plates i need to make it quiet.

I am not aware of any issues with people running into noise issues after use. This sounds like you have a damaged impeller, or a broken or lost bushing. Occasionally people loose the bushing (ceramic ring, in the back of the pump) when doing maintenance. The result is the end of the impeller banging around inside the pump body since the bushing is not holding it. There is a good chance your noise issue is easy remedied if you reach out.

We are here to help regardless of warranty status and even have a pro-rated 3 year warranty should you need something in your year 2.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I am not aware of any issues with people running into noise issues after use. This sounds like you have a damaged impeller, or a broken or lost bushing. Occasionally people loose the bushing (ceramic ring, in the back of the pump) when doing maintenance. The result is the end of the impeller banging around inside the pump body since the bushing is not holding it. There is a good chance your noise issue is easy remedied if you reach out.

We are here to help regardless of warranty status and even have a pro-rated 3 year warranty should you need something in your year 2.
Thank you for the feedback.

I realized that the noise was not normal, so I took the pump apart and discovered 3 baby trochus snails in there, so I cleared them out, and cleaned the entire assembly while I had it out, and it did lower the noise significantly, but its still make more noise than my ecotech M2 return pump, I'm certain its due to the air mixing, but I have an open frame system so if I cover it, it will solve the problem.

I just have to be more mindful of what falls in my sump. these trochus snails keep spawning, every 2-3 months, its like a breeding farm in my tank.

Simplicity Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the feedback.

I realized that the noise was not normal, so I took the pump apart and discovered 3 baby trochus snails in there, so I cleared them out, and cleaned the entire assembly while I had it out, and it did lower the noise significantly, but its still make more noise than my ecotech M2 return pump, I'm certain its due to the air mixing, but I have an open frame system so if I cover it, it will solve the problem.

I just have to be more mindful of what falls in my sump. these trochus snails keep spawning, every 2-3 months, its like a breeding farm in my tank.

Thank you for updating your issue. Comments like your previous one can be pretty devastating to a brand so I thank you for updating it.

neonreef3d

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank you for updating your issue. Comments like your previous one can be pretty devastating to a brand so I thank you for updating it.
for the price that these skimmers are sold for, you cant get anything better!! My DC240 runs perfect all the time, I have it setup on my google home voice command via KAZA smart power strip. having hands free control helps for these types of hardware!!

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have owned a DC240 for 3.5 years and does anyone else have the same problem where the wedge pipe is really difficult to turn for small adjustments? I've tried o-ring lubricant and it's fine initially but goes back to where I have to hold the body of the skimmer to turn the dang wedge pipe.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back