singapore angelfish help

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really it just sounds like you need to ditch the fish. Trade him for something smaller and not so nippy. That's my only cure for your issue. Take it or leave it, its the truth. We've all been there done that. Just listen to reason and next time ask BEFORE you buy a fish that you don't know about and even if you think you do. I don't really know how else to help you without designing a shock collar for the fish for when he bites corals. If he was doing anything like he is doing for you in my tanks he would be immediately rehomed.

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon."

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he looks like he isn't damaging anything why are you so worried lol?

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon."

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When quarantined properly and purchased healthy they can be just as easy no matter the age so long as he eats before you buy him. Please get a quarantine tank. Otherwise your just flipping the coin with coral death.

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And risk ich, marine velvet, herpes (just kidding about that one) and more

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i've experienced ich before but no serious outbreak and a quarentine tank seems like an unnecessary expense and i just dont have the money for it

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to be a bummer but if an empty tank with PVC and an air stone cost too much I don't know how you keep up with regular tank funds. The argument of quarantine vs no quarantine will always go in favor of quarantine. If you really want perfection with your livestock this will give you the chance to test out fish/coral compatibility without ruining your main tank, especially if you want to experiment with fish that are obviously too large

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on what means of filtration you will utilize. If you do a freshwater hang on filter (my preference) stick the sponges in your water for a couple weeks and it will be ready.

Water changes, testing, and observation will help to keep the water clean. If you are going to use the quarantine tank to see if the fish will eat corals than I would just fill it with tank water at your next water change as to not shock the coral. But! Practice proper procedure with making sure the fish is healthy. There is a ton of information on quarantining marine fish if you google it. There is scientific evidence backing up these procedures as opposed to garlic and home remedy type stuff.

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well actually today the Singapore angel finally took to prepared food after 2 weeks of not eating so fingered crossed that it gives up on the corals

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And honestly I'll just pas on the quarantine tank I'm obviously doing something right if I'm where I am

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm very glad he is eating and that may help deter him from your corals but it could also spawn a mass coral slaughter. If his digestive system is just now allowing him to eat then he could start taking bigger bites out of the coral.
50/50 chance.
As for your luck.
Yeah, lucky is what you are. But advice given; take what you will from it.
Does the place you shop quarantine or something? Not saying that every fish and coral comes with need to be treated but that is a fairly uncommon practice where I am from. Almost all places I go has an aptasia, the occasional parasite, or simply lack of knowledge that would require research before purchase. Its just not a good business making practice. For the in home aquarium it is dirt cheap to quarantine which is the assumption the lfs usually have.

I wish you luck. Any other questions you have I'll be glad to answer regardless if you accept it. Just remember, we take these fish from all over the world. If you move to another country with say your do or cat, they quarantine the animal for 60-90 days. This is for a good reason too. Disease is microscopic.

Another analogy to persuade you towards QT. lottery tickets. How many times can you win your money back before you finally loose? The odds of losing outweigh the odds of winning always in the lottery.

Ok. One more. Russian roulette. One bullet in the chamber, how many times can you pull the trigger before it shoots?

We at reef2reef and any other forum (as a majority) believe strongly in quarantine and care. We do not make commission off any decision you make. We are here to help you buddy, if you want to risk the lives of fish and corals that is on you and you alone.

Might I ask you what is the reason you keep resisting this simple procedure?

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well one I am worried about having to do more maintanence I already have my display to worry about, I need more water for water changes because I have to change the water in the quarantine tank also a reliable fish store said that they create more unnecessary stress for the fish, and stress them out more with different water chemistries and medicines, but thanks so much for the advice! :)

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your welcome. Good luck. I wish you the best. Just remember when you ask questions we put in our time to give you international wisdom based off science and not for business but for the greater good of earth and its inhabitants.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one of these in a reef tank in the past. Here are my thoughts.

when I first put this fish in, for at least a month, I rarely ever saw him. the fish never cem out t feed and I never witnessed him eat. then one day, I just happened to be looking at my tank it noticed that the rock looked incredible. SUPER clean even. This shy little fish had single handedly cleaned up my rock of all the algae growth on it. it was an amazing transformation. only after that did I see the fish start eating prepared flakes and such. F

This was all WAY back in 2005 so I relly dont remember much but from looking at the photos all i had in the tank were softies and I dont remember him eating those. here is a photo i had. they are very pretty fish and I would LOVE to have another but would not want to risk my SPS for it.

DSC01308.jpg

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sps corals shouldn't be bothered by it it is probably Lps, and gorgonians you should watch out for as he will probably nip on those

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps taste good to me! Just kidding. That's awesome yours cleans the rock like that, that's how my Pygmy is but being small he can't do it alone so my tang helps out but not for long since he needs a huge aquarium when he grows up.

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon." And a link to my tanks https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123851

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back