OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a bit of a problem today, he didn't eat at all today and now he's hiding and breathing rapidly what's going on?

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man...sounds exactly like what happens when you throw a fish into a tank without quarantining it!

Angels eat algae. If he doesn't eat what you feed him right away he will instinctively eat off the rock like in the wild, not to mention he has been slurping slime off corals if not eating the flesh as well.

When a fish is introduced to a new body of water their metabolism has to adjust to the parameters. This can take 1-2 weeks. If the metabolism is not up to speed it cannot digest its food, in turn rotting within its stomach.

If you quarantined him this would have prevented any and all chance of premature eating and allow his body to be fully recovered from the transition.

If he starts getting fatter and fatter you have bloat.

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon." And a link to my tanks https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123851

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it actually is bloat...Probably die. If you refuse to set up quarantine he will keep eating until he pops. The best chance is to get him away from food sources in general but at this point its hard to tell and it may be to late anyway. When food rots it creates gases. If his stomach is not allowing digestion and passage the essentially he cannot fart it out.

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon." And a link to my tanks https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123851

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seymour, respectfully, I think we get the QT point here. No need to keep beating that horse. Now what to do with this guy tobhelpnhim out in his situation. I would keepba tight monitor on the fish, try other frozen alternatives such as blood worms, squid, chopped clams (unless u have a clam). Don't over feed. Just one little cube a day. Add in some selcon to it. Don't overfeeding and trash your water quality. If there is any harassment put a mirror on one of the tank ends. This works wonders with some tangs.

sent from my old fashioned Galaxy tab with Tapatalk 2

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well if it is bloat I just don't know any other way to keep him from eating on his own and making it worse besides plastic wrapping the rock lol.
Sorry to sound pushy, just trying to help him understand the importance of it.
I really hope he is just a picky fish.

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw today I saw a juv Koran angelfish would it be a better candadit than an asfur angelfish?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those require 250g minimum. Here is a tip that will help you find your perfect fish:
Any time you see one, write it down. Google the fish, you will the locate a vendor that is reputable. Look at their care chart which is usually the first bit of info they give. Check their minimum tank size and see if the fish is too large for your tank. If it says 100g minimum, it cannot be happy in a 75g, in fact I will often look for fish smaller than what my tank can hold to leave room for a few more fish! We all want a fancy dinner plate in our tanks, trust me! I'd love a shark in mine but there is no way a 90 gallon can support that kind of fish.

75 is a big tank, to us humans. It seems that if a fish can swim around that is enough. For freshwater this is slightly more true.

The biggest issue with marine fish is that they are so tiny and live in such a huge and fast body of water that our aquariums barely mimic even the smallest of snails natural habitat. Think about how much room the fish have to swim, at full speed a fish can nearly smack the glass and knock himself out lol.

Is there a particular shape or color scheme you want in a fish??
We could come up with a list of good candidates for sure. There are so many varieties that there going to be something just right for you.

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any large angelfish? That could do well in a 75g tank what about a majestic angel? Also it's only temporary I'm upgrading in the future and would move the grown Koran angel in ther

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hopefully over 125g also I heard korans take 3-5 years to mature and that's probably in optimal condition btw the Singapore angel got its appetite back today

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's not what I meant but ok. A 250 gallon is not much bigger than a 125 as far as space goes in your house. Why don't you try for that? This fish is a bad mamma jamma, might as well hook him up with a monster tank right? :)

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be. Could also be longer. Could also be like a big square. You'd have to see what's available around you or custom build it, which isn't hard just nerve racking for your first few times lol.

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw do fish directly cause algae? because after adding the koran angel my algae levels are increasing should I sell some fish

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back