OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Koran angel, Singapore angel, coral beauty angel, yellow tang, three stripe damsel fishes, clownfishes, coral goby, mandarin fish, 2 silver moon fish

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae could be a couple things.
1) yea that's a lot of fish that poop a lot, especially tangs and angels who pick at the rock all day. That could easy result in detritus build up and cause algae.

2) filtration may not be large enough for your tank? What are you using for filtration and how many in tank powerheads do you have?

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon." And a link to my tanks https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123851

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will definitely need to upgrade to a sump, the bioload simply cannot be removed with what you have.
Reduce fish or up your filtration or your problem will only get worse. Not saying its impossible to have a fresh water filtered reef tank...but it is a ton more work.

"Live like tomorrow already happened. Yesterday is only 3 days ahead. Today will be here soon." And a link to my tanks https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123851

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm definitely selling some fish but I don't think the sump will work because you have to drill it

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.google.com/search?q=ove...20&bih=416&cad=cbv&sei=a17SUfqsO-PmygGq_oHICg

No you don't need to drill at all! Thanks to some maniac who came up with these things! They are pretty awesome actually, and saved my tank when I first started. I had a canister and it was so bad with algae. You can easily make these too.

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will these ship to Canada? Also theoretically If I continue with my tank the way it is will it eventually crash?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what does and doesn't ship to Canada, most likely though since we haven't gone to war with you yet lol. If they don't sell any to Canadians you could build one easily. There are plans for PVC versions (though not as attractive)

As far as crashing, that's just all up to how well you clean your filter and how often. More than likely you will have mass algae growth.

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I do 20% water changes each week and the algae problem isn't that bad just odd patches of it, and my sps are doing fine, thanks again

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could be wrong but I think 10 inches may be the smallest pomacanthus get, the majestic angelfish. $120+

I know its one of the only kind that are reef safer. Still big for a 75.

Why don't you look into the smaller species?

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well they just don't seem appealing but are majestics hard to keep? because I think I got way over my head with the koran and what about the asfur angelfish?

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You already asked about the asfur remember, you'll need a much larger tank to keep it healthy.
Even if they were like freshwater oscars and could live in a smaller tank they still poop more than most fish out there. Your gonna want to really upgrade your filtration big time if you are going to try to keep these guys.

Otherwise I don't really know what else to say besides get a bigger tank :)

OP
OP
M

Mattchamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to wean a angelfish off coral? because so far my koran devoured a zoa colony and is attacking a clove polyp colony same with the Singapore angelfish

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah if there was a way to train fish not to Munch corals that eat them in the wild we would all have reef tanks with Picasso triggers lol. It really does suck that some of the coolest ocean fish don't do what we want. Any fish trainers out there? There's a market for sure.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back