Single clown swimming to top of tank for air often, other fine. Cirolanids have been seen in the tank but I am active about removing

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my clowns keeps swimming to the top of the tank for air every five or so minutes, I believe a baby cirolanid has gotten in its gil/mouth somehow. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can treat or remove this without harming my fish?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
One of my clowns keeps swimming to the top of the tank for air every five or so minutes, I believe a baby cirolanid has gotten in its gil/mouth somehow. Does anyone have any ideas of how I can treat or remove this without harming my fish?
Try a 5 minute freshwater dip in a clean bucket of tap water the same temperature as display tank

OP
OP
AlphaCasual

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 I have currently done a 30% waterchange on the tank, the clownfish has currently stopped swimming to the top of the tank, but still its mouth open. I guess I should note I watched him suck down a bristle worm 2-3 nights ago, so that could also be a thing. I will attempt a freshwater dip if it continues to move to the top of the tank. Should I use rodi water or tap water (my tap is garbage)?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@vetteguy53081 I have currently done a 30% waterchange on the tank, the clownfish has currently stopped swimming to the top of the tank, but still its mouth open. I guess I should note I watched him suck down a bristle worm 2-3 nights ago, so that could also be a thing. I will attempt a freshwater dip if it continues to move to the top of the tank. Should I use rodi water or tap water (my tap is garbage)?

Check to see if it is still feeding well. If so, I wouldn't worry too much. The bristleworm is a much more likely issue than an isopod. The spicules from a worm can be very irritating and stick in the skin for a long time.

Jay

OP
OP
AlphaCasual

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal Thank you for your input. I will continue to closely monitor the situation. He has calmed down for now I will attempt to feed in a few hours at their normal dinner time. I appreciate both of your advice very much.

OP
OP
AlphaCasual

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fed the fish and the one in suspect is eating like a madman. Almost like I never feed them? Is this a good sign that it is most likely mad because it ate the bristle worm? @Jay Hemdal

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have fed the fish and the one in suspect is eating like a madman. Almost like I never feed them? Is this a good sign that it is most likely mad because it ate the bristle worm? @Jay Hemdal

I was just worried that any bristles in its mouth would impair feeding, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Jay

OP
OP
AlphaCasual

AlphaCasual

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it is still the same old water pig. It has been chilling around the middle of the tank for most of the day. Since the morning it has only gone up for air one more time. The two hours of it sitting in the top corner of my tank did send me into a panic.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back