Single clownfish with eggs?

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange question..have had a midnight occelaris for 2 years and never once has shown any aggression whatsoever to tank mates. Tonight suddenly she has become extremely aggressive to tank mates, ferociously chasing and nipping them if they come near her. Her stomach seems maybe a bit fuller than usual but hard to tell because she is a pig. She’s only defending a spot under my rock that’s hard to see in. Is it at all possible she can lay eggs without a male?? Seems crazy but I can’t really think of another reason for the aggression. Obviously the eggs wouldn’t be fertilized but am wondering if she can lay dud eggs. Her tank mates include one YWG and a swissguard basslet. Both are now exiled to a small corner together lol...

and as much as I love the clownfish my swissguard basslet is my favorite fish of all time and will not be happy if he gets beat up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok since this post the lights have dimmed and she went up to the powerhead and has been swimming in front of it for 25 mins....I’m not sure what to make of it. She’s never done anything like this before but then again clownfish are weird.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back