Single white spot on clown fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1F959A7D-FC24-45C9-BA24-E4718145525F.jpeg

I know this isn’t the greatest photo but Pennywise the clown fish is very active so it was hard to take a decent photo. He has a little white spot near his tail and I was wondering what it could be. Like I mentioned, he’s very active, comes to the side of the tank when I’m there to feed them, eats plenty and none of the other fish/creatures in the tank have any white spot(s) or sign of illness, including the other clown that he’s bffs with. Any thoughts? Guy we got the pair from recommended we do the fresh water dip for 3 minutes with temp/ph level matched. When we tested ph levels on the tank and fresh water there was a difference of about .2. The tank is 8.2 and fresh water is about 8.0, maybe a hair less. What could this one white spot be though? Guy said it wasn’t ich because if it was it’d be multiple spots all over. Also worth mentioning that we just noticed the spot today. Hard to see unless light hits it just right. I looked back at photos and the spot was in a photo of him I took about 5 days ago but not visible in clear photos taken of him the day we got him.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, a 3 minute FW dip really offers no protection at all against parasites. Even a 5 to 7 minute FW dip will only knock back a percentage of the parasites. The remaining ones will continue to grow after the dip is done.

Don't forget - ich always starts with a single spot! I can't tell you from the photo if this is likely to be ich or not, but one simple test is to keep an eye on it - if the spot stays there for 36+ hours, it is unlikely to be ich. If that spots goes away, but new spots show up elsewhere and then they go away, that is more how ich behaves...then the spots become more and more numerous and the fish begins acting sick - mopey, folded fins, lack of appetite, etc.

Jay

reefidiot??

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is late but it could be ich but it could also just be a loose white scale, I saw a white spot on my clown, panicked, inspected more and found out it was just a weird scale I left the uv on just in case, But it was fine because you know it was just a weird scale. Dont panic too hard because I am willing to bet right now your clown is fine

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is late but it could be ich but it could also just be a loose white scale, I saw a white spot on my clown, panicked, inspected more and found out it was just a weird scale I left the uv on just in case, But it was fine because you know it was just a weird scale. Dont panic too hard because I am willing to bet right now your clown is fine
Lol yes the spot disappeared and the clown has been fine :) Thanks! Sometimes fish get weird things that just don’t scream a particular diagnosis and we panic a little lol!

Back