Sinularia problems

MrHazard107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i got this green sinularia coral and througj many attempts of various ways to get it to attatch to a rock i fear i may be killing it :( please help as i dont know how to fix this, there seems to be small flakes of its skin coming away and showing the fibers that build it. I have it now attached to a rock with cocktail stick and rubber band but it seems to be getting worse..
DSC_0025.jpeg
DSC_0024.jpeg
DSC_0026.jpeg

OP
OP
MrHazard107

MrHazard107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, i got this green sinularia coral and througj many attempts of various ways to get it to attatch to a rock i fear i may be killing it :( please help as i dont know how to fix this, there seems to be small flakes of its skin coming away and showing the fibers that build it. I have it now attached to a rock with cocktail stick and rubber band but it seems to be getting worse..
DSC_0025.jpeg
DSC_0024.jpeg
DSC_0026.jpeg
Bottom pic is of coral right now

OP
OP
MrHazard107

MrHazard107

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its almost impossible to have them glued to anything. just find a way to rest it on to where you want it, itll eventually grab on by itself.
Thanks, ill keep trying but its deteriorateing more and more :(

Musovski

Soft Coral Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, ill keep trying but its deteriorateing more and more :(
its from constantly touching it. :p Leathers are very hard to kill. Just let it be in a middle placement in the tank. Itll open up. Keep us up to date on this. I want to see what happens.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically with soft corals like leathers I don't hold them down with rubber bands or other kinds of ties unless it is really loose. If you pinch the coral it might die off as your is doing. I find that a tray of rubble rock with the coral placed in it without ties is the best method to get softies to attach. The rocks should be loosely arranged around the coral so they are touching but ensure the rocks are not pinching the coral. Its okay to just throw them in the tray flat resting on the top of the rocks as they will also attach. It might take some time but if they are undisturbed in a tray for a few weeks they attach to smaller rocks which can in turn be glued to a larger rock in a more desirable part of the display. I don't have a cover over this tray but some nylon mesh or plastic mesh can be rubber banded over the tray to keep the corals in the tray if you are worried about them getting blown out of the tray from water flow. I have a couple of green sinularia frags in this tray that were recently cut from the mother colony. I will give them some time to attach before moving them to a new location in the tank.

tray1.jpg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back