SirRoot's WB 60.2+ Build

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SirRoot’s WB 60.2+ Build

After about a year of “window shopping” I’m ready to start my very first saltwater aquarium. Kick starting this build thread to document the experience as a public journal but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Current Build:
  • Tank: Waterbox Marine 60.2+ (24x24x18 Display 40g + 20g Sump and black cabinet)
    • I'm a bit space conscious so the cube design and water volume seemed like a good balance for my first tank. I picked up tank, lighting, return pump, ATO, and skimmer all apart of Waterbox's 2019 Blue Friday event. For anyone wondering...with long enough arms you can move the display tank / sump into the house by yourself.
  • Lighting: AI Prime 16HD
  • Return Pump: Nyos Viper 3.0
  • Skimmer: Nyos Quantum 120
  • ATO: XP Aqua Duetto
  • Powerhead: AI Nero 5 (with Snail Guard from Melev’s Reef)
    • The Vortech mp10/40 looked really appealing with an external motor and ez cleaning but with the Nero's slightly better price point and edge on gph (over mp10) I decided to give the Nero a shot. With the two biggest criticisms being weak magnet @ 1/2 inch and potential for killing fish (yikes) I figured I should be OK with 8mm glass and the addition of the Snail Guard. I was debating getting cheaper alternatives so I can have one on each side of the tank instead of a single pump but I hope I'll be OK.
  • Heating: Between BRS Heater Controller or InkBird Wifi Controller /w Finnex 300W Titanium Heating Element
    • Was going to go with the BRS Heater Controller + Element but that seems to be sold out (got a in-stock email but it was gone in seemingly seconds) so I picked up another 300W Titanium heating element to pair with the in-stock controller. I'll need to decide tomorrow but I might call an audible and go with the InkBird Wifi controller because the temperature alarm + wifi alerts but the reviews have me a bit worried on keeping the temperature within range.
  • Lid: BRS DIY ⅛ Rimless with clips (for now)

Additional Supplies
  • BRS 4 Stage RO/DI
  • Red Sea Salt Mix (Blue Container)
  • Hanna Salinity Tester
  • Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit (Cycle)
    • Dead shrimp method seemed really cool to me at first (and pee in tank method ;Shamefullyembarrased) but I kept reading that the shrimp might cause some excess odor which might not fly with my wife. Going to give this read sea kit a shot for a 3ish week cycle.
  • Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
  • 150W Ehiem Jager Heater (water changes)

Missing Initial Supplies
  • Rock / Sand
    • Figure I'll pick this up from LFS.
  • ?
Current Live Stock Aspirations (all in time no rush):
  • Pair of clowns (maybe a mocha vinci, lightning maroon, or just your standard ocellaris)
  • Any support fish that would fit in the tank.
  • BTA would be awesome
  • Zoanthid rock or garden.
  • Pretty much anything labeled beginner LPS that has some movement (basic coral newbie). Hammers, Frogspawn, Duncans, Acans, Candy Canes all look really cool at the moment.
Current Forum / YouTube searches before setup
  • With small form factor of Nyos Q120 and some space in the 60.2 skimmer chamber - can I partition the chamber to fit a refugium? How would the flow be? Would 10.2"" x 8.75" x ~9" water depth be enough to grow chaeto? Maybe just some biomedia.
  • Not crazy about the idea of some "fish with a purpose" (alge or coral critter cleanup) that might have to leave my tank with they get some size (ex Yellow Tang). What are my "fish with a purpose" that wont need to evicted in my 24x24x18 (40g) display tank.
Next Steps:
  • Build WB Cabinet, place tank, setup lighting, and cable management this weekend.
  • Pickup Rock / Sand from LFS & prep scape.
  • Cycle kickoff thanksgiving weekend (~12 days from now).
  • More pics to come.
Initial Pictures
  1. WB Delivery
  2. Tank "unboxed" in laundry room waiting to be moved to final location.
  3. Sump pics for fuge ideas.

delivery.jpg unboxed.jpg sump3-1.jpg sump3-2.jpg

Last edited:

CasaReefer

Promoted To Sponge
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy Cardboard Batman... Is It Christmas All Ready... Bet it's killing you waiting to un-pack... Welcome to R2R.. Gonna follow to see what happens next.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SirRoot’s WB 60.2+ Build

After about a year of “window shopping” I’m ready to start my very first saltwater aquarium. Kick starting this build thread to document the experience as a public journal but any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Current Build:
  • Tank: Waterbox Marine 60.2+ (24x24x18 Display 40g + 20g Sump and black cabinet)
    • I'm a bit space conscious so the cube design and water volume seemed like a good balance for my first tank. I picked up tank, lighting, return pump, and skimmer all apart of Waterbox's 2019 Blue Friday event. For anyone wondering...with long enough arms you can move the display tank / sump into the house by yourself.
  • Lighting: AI Prime 16HD
  • Return Pump: Nyos Viper 3.0
  • Skimmer: Nyos Quantum 120
  • Powerhead: AI Nero 5 (with Snail Guard from Melev’s Reef)
    • The Vortech mp10/40 looked really appealing with an external motor and ez cleaning but with the Nero's slightly better price point and edge on gph (over mp10) I decided to give the Nero a shot. With the two biggest criticisms being weak magnet @ 1/2 inch and potential for killing fish (yikes) I figured I should be OK with 8mm glass and the addition of the Snail Guard. I was debating getting cheaper alternatives so I can have one on each side of the tank instead of a single pump but I hope I'll be OK.
  • Heating: Between BRS Heater Controller or InkBird Wifi Controller /w Finnex 300W Titanium Heating Element
    • Was going to go with the BRS Heater Controller + Element but that seems to be sold out (got a in-stock email but it was gone in seemingly seconds) so I picked up another 300W Titanium heating element to pair with the in-stock controller. I'll need to decide tomorrow but I might call an audible and go with the InkBird Wifi controller because the temperature alarm + wifi alerts but the reviews have me a bit worried on keeping the temperature within range.
  • Lid: BRS DIY ⅛ Rimless with clips (for now)

Additional Supplies
  • BRS 4 Stage RO/DI
  • Red Sea Salt Mix (Blue Container)
  • Hanna Salinity Tester
  • Red Sea Reef Mature Pro Kit (Cycle)
    • Dead shrimp method seemed really cool to me at first (and pee in tank method ;Shamefullyembarrased) but I kept reading that the shrimp might cause some excess odor which might not fly with my wife. Going to give this read sea kit a shot for a 3ish week cycle.
  • Red Sea Marine Care Test Kit
  • 150W Ehiem Jager Heater (water changes)

Missing Initial Supplies
  • Rock / Sand (Buying from LFS)
    • Figure I'll pick this up from LFS.
  • ?
Current Live Stock Aspirations (all in time no rush):
  • Pair of clowns (maybe a mocha vinci, lightning maroon, or just your standard ocellaris)
  • Any support fish that would fit in the tank.
  • BTA would be awesome
  • Zoanthid rock or garden.
  • Pretty much anything labeled beginner LPS that has some movement (basic coral newbie). Hammers, Frogspawn, Duncans, Acans, Candy Canes all look really cool at the moment.
Current Forum / YouTube searches before setup
  • With small form factor of Nyos Q120 and some space in the 60.2 skimmer chamber - can I partition the chamber to fit a refugium? How would the flow be? Would 10.2"" x 8.75" x ~9" water depth be enough to grow chaeto? Maybe just some biomedia.
  • Not crazy about the idea of some "fish with a purpose" (alge or coral critter cleanup) that might have to leave my tank with they get some size (ex Yellow Tang). What are my "fish with a purpose" that wont need to evicted in my 24x24x18 (40g) display tank.
Next Steps:
  • Build WB Cabinet, place tank, setup lighting, and cable management this weekend.
  • Pickup Rock / Sand from LFS & prep scape.
  • Cycle kickoff thanksgiving weekend (~12 days from now).
  • More pics to come.
Initial Pictures
  1. WB Delivery
  2. Tank "unboxed" in laundry room waiting to be moved to final location.
  3. Sump pics for fuge ideas.

delivery.jpg unboxed.jpg sump3-1.jpg sump3-2.jpg

Your actual DT volume is 32 gallons and the sump is 10 to 11 gallons. Also, the sump's actual depth is actually 8.25 to 8.50". I hope that doesn't affect any of your plans?

edit: I think you want to have the refugium first and then the skimmer.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as the heater goes, I would definitely go with the BRS model. It's made for them by a German company and will probably outlast you.

I wouldn't think about moving that tank by yourself... the sump should be no problem.

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your actual DT volume is 32 gallons and the sump is 10 to 11 gallons. Also, the sump's actual depth is actually 8.25 to 8.50". I hope that doesn't affect any of your plans?

edit: I think you want to have the refugium first and then the skimmer.

I was going by WB spec sheet. Just curious do your numbers reflect observed water depths with some not so accurate WB documentation or am I missing including sand / rock considerations?

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going by WB spec sheet. Just curious do your numbers reflect observed water depths with some not so accurate WB documentation or am I missing including sand / rock considerations?

My numbers reflect inside measurements, which give real water volume numbers: L x W x H x 7.48. Additionally, when i filled mine the entire system took about 42 gallons. And yes, Waterbox numbers are exaggerated... terribly.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS 4 stage ro/di should be fine as long as your water is treated with chlorine. If it is treated with chloramines, you will need, at minimum, the 5 stage system. Have you checked with your water company, municipality? Also, make sure you get the plus system with the flushing valve and pressure gauge... trust me, you'll want it.

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS 4 stage ro/di should be fine as long as your water is treated with chlorine. If it is treated with chloramines, you will need, at minimum, the 5 stage system. Have you checked with your water company, municipality? Also, make sure you get the plus system with the flushing valve and pressure gauge... trust me, you'll want it.

From what I read on my county's water authority NY only uses chlorine. Not sure if the logic holds but I also have a while house filter so I figured the 4 stage is enough. Thanks for the heads up on the plus upgrade I'll look into it

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I'm a bit behind setting up my build due to some family obligations but I also made the mistake assuming that at least one of my two LFS would have a good selection of dry rock to pick from. Turns out that was not the case so I ended up ordering some Marco dry rock from BRS during their BF/CM sale. I went with:
I was a bit unsure about how much and what sort of pieces I would get so it felt like I over ordered at the time but having received my rock today I feel like this was a good amount. I'm attaching some images of the scape I was able to put together with only 2-3 small/medium size pieces left over for the sump.

Next Steps:
  • I'm installing a GFI outlet on my decided tank location tomorrow.
  • Water in Saturday.
Current Thoughts/Concerns:
  • Rock is a bit "dusty" - should I rinse them before initial water fill and if so should I do so with RODI water?

FrontScape.jpg SideScape.jpg TopScape.jpg SideScape.jpg location.jpg

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:

I'm a bit behind setting up my build due to some family obligations but I also made the mistake assuming that at least one of my two LFS would have a good selection of dry rock to pick from. Turns out that was not the case so I ended up ordering some Marco dry rock from BRS during their BF/CM sale. I went with:
I was a bit unsure about how much and what sort of pieces I would get so it felt like I over ordered at the time but having received my rock today I feel like this was a good amount. I'm attaching some images of the scape I was able to put together with only 2-3 small/medium size pieces left over for the sump.

Next Steps:
  • I'm installing a GFI outlet on my decided tank location tomorrow.
  • Water in Saturday.
Current Thoughts/Concerns:
  • Rock is a bit "dusty" - should I rinse them before initial water fill and if so should I do so with RODI water?

FrontScape.jpg SideScape.jpg TopScape.jpg SideScape.jpg location.jpg

You should be fine with tap water. I soaked my dry rock in 5 gallon buckets for a couple of hours and then sprayed them off and let the rock dry.

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine with tap water. I soaked my dry rock in 5 gallon buckets for a couple of hours and then sprayed them off and let the rock dry.

Thanks I think I'll probably end up doing the same.

Are you using any kind of epoxy/glue for your scape?

I ended up ordering a decent amount of the "shelf" style of rock which I'm actually using as a flat foundation for the the larger shelf across so it feels really sturdy. That said, I have some https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-extra-thick-gel-super-glue.html on hand which reads more for coral propagation but I may through some on if anything has a bit of wiggle.

S.Pepper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks I think I'll probably end up doing the same.

I ended up ordering a decent amount of the "shelf" style of rock which I'm actually using as a flat foundation for the the larger shelf across so it feels really sturdy. That said, I have some https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-extra-thick-gel-super-glue.html on hand which reads more for coral propagation but I may through some on if anything has a bit of wiggle.

Yeah, I used something similar as far as glue. I did get 2 little fishes epoxy. But either way my scape isn't stacked all the way to the top--just 2 layers. You should be fine.

I have updated my build thread. It may give u a couple ideas, but maybe not. :D I'm getting ready to add my first fish on Saturday. A pair of Bullet Hole clownfish. Probably a Yellow Watchman Goby after that... and then? Here's a video of them. I think they look awesome. I'm not into naming fish, but felt an obligation with this pair: Bonnie & Clyde.:rolleyes:

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I used something similar as far as glue. I did get 2 little fishes epoxy. But either way my scape isn't stacked all the way to the top--just 2 layers. You should be fine.

I have updated my build thread. It may give u a couple ideas, but maybe not. :D I'm getting ready to add my first fish on Saturday. A pair of Bullet Hole clownfish. Probably a Yellow Watchman Goby after that... and then? Here's a video of them. I think they look awesome. I'm not into naming fish, but felt an obligation with this pair: Bonnie & Clyde.:rolleyes:

I found a LFS near my work office and picked up some putty Friday night. I was reading the instructions and saw the protein skimmer warning and didn't think anything of it until seeing your post on your build thread :p. I ended up not using it because everything fit really snug.

Clowns looks awesome can't wait for an update.

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With everything setup and a few hours waiting for that RODI water to drip I finally have a salt water tank! Getting the water level right took some tinkering but everything appears to be running smoothly (along with my ATO) so ready to proceed! Day1 salinity and temperature appear to be stable so I'll continuing with "Day2" tomorrow morning of the https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/red-sea-reef-mature-pro-kit.html which starts the cycle bacteria dosing.

(attached) Photo shows 100% Moonlight on the Prime16HD.

Day1.jpg

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • 12 hours after initial dosing; we a bacterial bloom (see attached).
  • 24 hours after initial dosing; ammonia (1ppm) , nitrite (.1 ppm) & nitrate (40ppm) levels appear to be in recommended range (using red sea test kit). Continuing of "bacto-start" simulating waste (nitrogen and phosphorus components) and carbon additive. Kit says I should start seeing some alge in a day or two.

Bloom1.jpg
Bloom2.jpg

OP
OP
SirRoot

SirRoot

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cycle / First Tank Addition Update:

After a cycle that felt more like a roller coaster I finally can provide an update after what seems like forever! So I found that the reports of “Red Sea Mature Pro (cycle) Kit” falling short on tanks completely made up of dry rock appears to have been true. I ended up using DrTim’sOneAndOnly and dosing Dr Tim’s Ammonia Chloride but found out the hard way that the recommended dosage (4 drop / 1 gal) was completely wrong and ended up overshooting my desired 2ppm even after using a conservative 40g of total system volume. Diving deep on a few threads here on R2R I learned that I should have been more patient as “stalling” a cycle due to gaps in no Ammonia source appears to be false (at least to the extent some will tell you). After overdosing Ammonia I let the system be (still testing every day with very high Ammonia/Nitrite/Nitrate) for about two weeks then did ~50% water changes every day for 4 consecutive days. This finally brought down my Ammonia and Nitrite levels down to a readable level and allowed me to do a consumption test a few days later signaling me that I was ready for my first fish.

During the cycle I made up my mind and decided my first fish will be a pair of designer clowns which I wanted to purchase in person by the LFS near my place of work (Manhattan Aquariums NYC). The LFS had several to choose from but I decided on a pair of “Bullet Hole Clownfish” because of their blend of Orange, Black, and White coloration along with their “juvenile” appearance which is something I wanted considering I want to experience them grow. One week in my tank and they appear to be doing just fine, always together, and eating the “Panta Rhei Nouri SPONGE” food I purchased at the LFS (I have differnt food in-transit from BRS). Here is a quick video of them:

I also purchased a few Cerith and Nassarius Snails which have been surprisingly entertaining =). After a week with the clowns and feeding my protein skimmer appears to be doing a good job with water parameters looking great.

Equipment Updates:

I originally purchased two 7g containers from Amazon thinking it would be sufficient in holding my RODI water and manually mixing my salt. After my first water change I immediately purchased a 32g & 10g Brute container along with a wheel cart for 32g. I also picked up a spare Nyos Viper 3.0 return pump thinking it would be good to have a pump to aid in mixing salt, getting water from the container into the tank, and spare if my DT return failed. So far this setup is far from perfect but it's making water changes manageable and down to only about a half hour so I’m happy.

I’m expecting a Zetlight e100 Macroalgae LED light along with a small ball of chaeto this Thursday as I wanted to experiment to see if I’d get any growth in the extra room I have in my sump reactor chamber. I have low expectations so we’ll see.

Leap of faith / Impulse Buy:

A few months ago I stumbled upon Tidal Gardens’ live show with discounts on coral and immediately subscribed thinking it would be cool to participate in one day. Yesterday I put my kid for a nap and sat on the couch to relax for a bit and what do you know it's TD January live show with about 40 minutes remaining. I debated for a few minutes if I should buy something and decided to go for it. I settled on “Pink-tip Frogspawn” and “Fireworks Zoanthid” frags from the live discount show. This unfortunately still brought my total under the free shipping mark so I decided to browse their online store to see if I can add something to get a better value out of the order. I surprisingly saw that they had 2 units in stock of a “Rainbow Bubble tip anemone” and knowing that I shouldn’t considering the age of my tank (~50d) I purchased one anyway because it is responsible for luring me into the hobby (like a lot of us) and ofc I let my excitement get the best of me. If all goes well, I expect the frogspawn, zoa, and rbta to be here Thursday/Friday.

Next Steps:

I’m going to park the livestock as-is for the time being and want to observe the impact on Alk, Cal, Mag from the livestock I already have and what impact water changes has on this. I also want to research more and and settle on the 2-part (or alternative) dosing method I’ll be using to accommodate consumption.

Attachments:
* Cerith Snail
* Full Tank Shot
* Water Station
* Frogspawn Live Show SS
* Zoa Live Show SS
* Bullet Hole Clowns

Cerith.jpg FullShot.jpg WaterStation.jpg PTFrogSpawn.png FireworksZoa.png BHClowns.jpg

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back