Sitting at the airport waiting to pick up 200lbs of kp aquatics premium live rock how exciting !!!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes all the new rock is out of my main system.
so I was thinking same thing about test so when I got the prime I got an api ammonia test kit. New rock system is 4 and and main system was between 1-2 about 6-7 hours after rock removed. Ph on main system is 8.42 apex. So I did 150 gallon water change on main system and Hanna now reads .1 and .2 tested 2x. It should be 0 I’m guessing by morning. As far as new rock system I have 200 gallons of prime treated tap water and gunna do 100% water change cleaning the system and swishing all the rocks. Wrote putting back in the 100% new water
That brings up another issue with Prime... If the test kit is reading total ammonia, then (since Prime does not remove any ammo), the test is useless after you add the "detoxifier".

I'm really not trying to discourage you and I know at this point trying anything is better than doing nothing, but be sure you understand how Prime will affect your tests so you don't end up with bad data.

Last edited:

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what it’s worth I have 2 testers testing over 3-4 ppm and the ammonia badge in the tank shows .25 for past 2 days lol what garbage and for 15$ geez
I doubt this is the case, but if the tests measure total ammo and the badge measures free ammo, then the results should be different... maybe not .25, but who knows.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the temp of the water you're replacing? You can probably get away with a 3-5 degree difference...
77.5 now cause I took the heater out and put in mixing station now three 500 watts are running and temp seems to be rising little faster. I think I will do no more then 1 degree less. When it’s 1 degree less that’s when I will start the disassembly. 73.1 now woohoo :)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
77.5 now cause I took the heater out and put in mixing station now three 500 watts are running and temp seems to be rising little faster. I think I will do no more then 1 degree less. When it’s 1 degree less that’s when I will start the disassembly. 73.1 now woohoo :)
It's too bad you can't hit up a LFS or rally some local folks and get a large amount of saltwater (or at least RODI) at once. For that matter, if you could borrow a few empty tanks, you could separate the rock into smaller batches and hopefully control things better.

But it's way past my bedtime and I'm just tossing out ideas you've probably already thought of. Wish I had something more constructive to offer. I look forward to reading an update tomorrow. Good luck :)

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you want to get rid of the pests on the rock .. just do as they say on their site ..make some HIGH salinity water (site says how high) and drop the rock in for a few minutes...things will jump out so fast it will make your head spin.. I did it and was glad I did.. fireworm, mantis and pistol were among the jumpers... try it . it works.

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m to exhausted and Aggravated to say anything besides just finished right now and laying down

Brother, if you need help, I live in Chicago, can make 32g of RO and 32g saltwater in my basement, also happy to help in any other way for another reefer2reefer. Just lemme know via DM, totally serious.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m to exhausted and Aggravated to say anything besides just finished right now and laying down
This is a horrible problem for you. here would be my suggestions - the Prime is 'supposed to detoxify ammonia' - it does not 'remove it' - as others say. Again - (and lets not start that debate lo:) - there is also 'doubt' as to whether it detoxifies it well - and definitely not beyond 24-48 hours - so your ammonia testing MAY (based on the studies here not be accurate. IMHO - I would add a good bottled bacteria product now that you've changed the water - to help ammonia from re-accumulating (if it's going to) - it will not hurt. Also keep oxygenation up as well. These are just my suggestions based on what you've done in the last day. It's difficult to put everything together based on everything else that happened. However, I'm hopeful - that things will improve and I would definitely 'give it time'.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry this is happening to you... have you reached out to KP to see what they think could have gone wrong??
Yes I have and we’ve been working together to try to fix the situation and salvage something out of this. Philipp has been very helpful so far Communicating with me daily and giving me advice on how to move forward

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My back is killing me but it’s finally going back in. Been rebuilding this engine while all this been going on also. Been very long week for me
E19E5BDA-0A00-4F1A-A20B-BC7EECA0B90C.jpeg

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a horrible problem for you. here would be my suggestions - the Prime is 'supposed to detoxify ammonia' - it does not 'remove it' - as others say. Again - (and lets not start that debate lo:) - there is also 'doubt' as to whether it detoxifies it well - and definitely not beyond 24-48 hours - so your ammonia testing MAY (based on the studies here not be accurate. IMHO - I would add a good bottled bacteria product now that you've changed the water - to help ammonia from re-accumulating (if it's going to) - it will not hurt. Also keep oxygenation up as well. These are just my suggestions based on what you've done in the last day. It's difficult to put everything together based on everything else that happened. However, I'm hopeful - that things will improve and I would definitely 'give it time'.
One issue is that he needed to use tap water instead of RODI, so the Prime was primarily to dechlorinate. My concern is that *whatever* affect Prime has on ammonia will skew future test results...

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One issue is that he needed to use tap water instead of RODI, so the Prime was primarily to dechlorinate. My concern is that *whatever* affect Prime has on ammonia will skew future test results...
Thats what I said. If you have used Prime - you cannot really interpret ammonia - EXCEPT - THAT if you do a 100% water change - by definition the ammonia then is 'zero'. Prime alone does not cause a false ammonia level - it only will not change a high or abnormal level.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ooh man... Rebuilding at the dealership is no fun. They eventually started shipping us crates.
They force us to do the most cost-effective repair which means as cheap as possible so it’s always open it up and put whatever parts inside of it it needs only and slap it back together and cross your fingers

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They force us to do the most cost-effective repair which means as cheap as possible so it’s always open it up and put whatever parts inside of it it needs only and slap it back together and cross your fingers
Did you get it all out back together?

How's the rock looking and smelling?

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it all out back together?

How's the rock looking and smelling?
Yep put a short block in that escape in 15.5 hours total finished it before I left. So rock is looking like it’s starting to turn white in some places. The smell is still horrible!!
just got done testing ammonia and now after last nights 100% water change with tap water and prime and swoosh of all rocks in clean water now ammonia is reading 1. The issue is now after reading what all you have said here that I added the prime and this ammonia value is probably not right. With that being said I’m setting up for another 100% change tonight with tap and prime but no swish of rocks this time. I don’t have the energy for 3-4 hours of more work today

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I’m not finding the ammonia spikes that abnormal or (don’t shoot me here) all that much to worry about long term. Yes, change as much water as you can. I think separating the rock into smaller amounts in more buckets with more water volume will help. But it’s just gotta cycle through at some point. A lot of stuff will likely still live + the bacteria which is most important. If you see any starfish or desirable crabs you can always try and put them in display. I wouldn’t toss 30-40 lbs in. More like 5-10 at a time depending on your main tank volume. And I wouldn’t start that until it’s “cycled” ie…not kicking off ammmonia.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just finished another about 80% water change . Will test ammonia tomorrow after work. But with the prime I’ve been using not sure it will matter cause can’t trust reading anyways so I’ve heard

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.9%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 25.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back