Sitting at the airport waiting to pick up 200lbs of kp aquatics premium live rock how exciting !!!!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a message from my wife today saying that she changed all the cat litter because the whole house reeks all I could do was laugh and I could not tell her what the real smell was but she’ll know in a day or two when it’s still there
I’m at the airport catching up on this thread. If you need a place to hide out when the cat litter needs another change I can pick you up in Las Vegas or San Diego later today?
image.jpg
Us live rock users got to stick together in this hobby. ;)

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just finished another about 80% water change . Will test ammonia tomorrow after work. But with the prime I’ve been using not sure it will matter cause can’t trust reading anyways so I’ve heard
Prime itself does not cause 'high ammonia readings'. IF you have high ammonia levels - prime will continue to show them even if the ammonia is (according to them) detoxified. One way to get around this issue - is not to use Prime (Unless your water has chloramines) - instead - use a plain dechlorinator.

sculpin01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck with Seachem Zeolite for ammonia mitigation in similar situations. In your case, buying a couple of gallons of it and some mesh bags couldn’t hurt. I’d also probably add a ton of activated carbon which might help with the smell, if nothing else.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m at the airport catching up on this thread. If you need a place to hide out when the cat litter needs another change I can pick you up in Las Vegas or San Diego later today?
image.jpg
Us live rock users got to stick together in this hobby. ;)
Can you change my cat litter? Curious - where are you going - since no recent updates from @((FORDTECH)) - which I'm awaiting.

BTW - IN the ancient times - when 'live rock' was imported from Florida routinely - and plopped into a tank - this situation was kind of expected - i.e. that many of the critters would die off - over time (perhaps not as quickly as this case). The key is patience - because - many of the 'stuff' are used to harsh conditions - and things the look dead - recover after weeks/ months. I.e. Picture a starfish in a tide pool in Washington state - when it's 86 degrees outside - sunny - but the water is 50 degrees. The water in the tide pool rises dramatically across the day - and with it - lower oxygen, higher waste degradation and bacteria. I'm still hopeful that this situation will work out well Ford

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually says detoxifies ammonia which is kinda a good thing in this situation I think.

it says that, but testing suggests it may not actually do that as they claim.

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you change my cat litter? Curious - where are you going - since no recent updates from @((FORDTECH)) - which I'm awaiting.

BTW - IN the ancient times - when 'live rock' was imported from Florida routinely - and plopped into a tank - this situation was kind of expected - i.e. that many of the critters would die off - over time (perhaps not as quickly as this case). The key is patience - because - many of the 'stuff' are used to harsh conditions - and things the look dead - recover after weeks/ months. I.e. Picture a starfish in a tide pool in Washington state - when it's 86 degrees outside - sunny - but the water is 50 degrees. The water in the tide pool rises dramatically across the day - and with it - lower oxygen, higher waste degradation and bacteria. I'm still hopeful that this situation will work out well Ford
This ^^^ The rule of thumb when I started reefing (and liverock was much more common and affordable) was that a cycle would take a month give or take. I think people focus so much on whether the ammonia reads zero, they forget there's other stuff going on...the first green surface algae bloom, the first explosion of pods, the first nasty algae bloom, etc, etc....it's a process. I usually just let the rock work itself out. I'm not suggesting others do it, but I ordered 40 lbs of "australian" live rock from unique corals and I'm not doing much with it. Its in tubs with a powerhead and heater. I replace evaporation water and I've done a couple water changes. It smelled the first week or so...but I'm not testing nor am that worried if this process will affect the "quality" of the rock. Sure, remove anything dead and rotting, but other than that...it'll be fine and form the basis of your reef for years to come. But think in terms of years, not days.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This ^^^ The rule of thumb when I started reefing (and liverock was much more common and affordable) was that a cycle would take a month give or take. I think people focus so much on whether the ammonia reads zero, they forget there's other stuff going on...the first green surface algae bloom, the first explosion of pods, the first nasty algae bloom, etc, etc....it's a process. I usually just let the rock work itself out. I'm not suggesting others do it, but I ordered 40 lbs of "australian" live rock from unique corals and I'm not doing much with it. Its in tubs with a powerhead and heater. I replace evaporation water and I've done a couple water changes. It smelled the first week or so...but I'm not testing nor am that worried if this process will affect the "quality" of the rock. Sure, remove anything dead and rotting, but other than that...it'll be fine and form the basis of your reef for years to come. But think in terms of years, not days.

I agree with what is being said here but do note that KPA rock was shipped in water from the states and likely has wayyy more larger life forms that are dying off in his tub then aussie rock that is just shipped in wet paper towels from across the globe. Most of the larger die off on aussie rock has already happened in the suppliers tanks. When KPA is shipped in wet paper towels it has piles and piles and piles of dead crabs/shrimp/worms and starfish. I have not seen anything like that amount on aussie rock as they have already likely been removed from changing hands and held in the dealers/suppliers tank a bit in the process.

Ofc the die off like this shouldn't have happened to rock shipping in water, something went wrong in the process.

I do agree that in the end... it will be okay and what is needed for diversity will still be there. Even the harsh cycle will not wipe out all the bacteria and the hardier lifeforms will return regardless.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So little update here tested water and it’s down more from yesterday right now it’s about .5 ammonia I’d say. Smell is also down but I did leave the basement ventilation fan on since yesterday. Skimmer seems to be pulling out less junk also.
Rock still seems to be turning white.
Getting ready to perform another 80% water change.
So I do have some progress.

Attachments

• 328693B0-BF52-4E6D-A677-961E11F96742.jpeg
    328693B0-BF52-4E6D-A677-961E11F96742.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 21

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So little update here tested water and it’s down more from yesterday right now it’s about .5 ammonia I’d say. Smell is also down but I did leave the basement ventilation fan on since yesterday. Skimmer seems to be pulling out less junk also.
Rock still seems to be turning white.
Getting ready to perform another 80% water change.
So I do have some progress.
Glad to hear it!

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with what is being said here but do note that KPA rock was shipped in water from the states and likely has wayyy more larger life forms that are dying off in his tub then aussie rock that is just shipped in wet paper towels from across the globe. Most of the larger die off on aussie rock has already happened in the suppliers tanks. When KPA is shipped in wet paper towels it has piles and piles and piles of dead crabs/shrimp/worms and starfish. I have not seen anything like that amount on aussie rock as they have already likely been removed from changing hands and held in the dealers/suppliers tank a bit in the process.

Ofc the die off like this shouldn't have happened to rock shipping in water, something went wrong in the process.

I do agree that in the end... it will be okay and what is needed for diversity will still be there. Even the harsh cycle will not wipe out all the bacteria and the hardier lifeforms will return regardless.
That’s a good note—Australian liverock definitely has less larger fauna by the time it gets to the consumer. I’ve ordered Tampa bay before, not kp. But had quite a few pistol shrimp, worms, starfish, etc. This thread makes me want to grab a few pounds, lol!

Glad the ammonia is going down!

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested my water was still at .5 ammonia so performed another 80% water change. Smell in the house is definitely better but water still is stinky. Most of the sponges have died and the ones left are turning to white mush and fluffing off daily. I’ve put a couple extra power heads in to help this and hang on filter for some mechanical filtration of the floating white scum coming off I’m the rocks that I clean couple times a day. Here is some pics of the rock I took today.
6FE4628C-08E1-4B23-94B5-800D1332DC2C.jpeg
492F3EF7-94F4-4016-B4F7-8CE97BB6624E.jpeg
497C2B50-1BE7-4877-9739-A693FB7E9481.jpeg
7B9A5103-8C71-4B3E-B86D-BC7A0C4E3D40.jpeg
EA8FCDB7-45C4-4FA2-80FF-2AC7A650239C.jpeg
CABC40BF-346E-4BE3-8457-7B3D33CBC29B.jpeg
1BDF7410-3F4D-485C-BCFC-B3074E094D1A.jpeg
17B04284-3AB0-46BE-8F3B-B6C637B81869.jpeg
59489158-41AF-4CE9-8ED5-0962B49DD2DC.jpeg

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tested my water was still at .5 ammonia so performed another 80% water change. Smell in the house is definitely better but water still is stinky. Most of the sponges have died and the ones left are turning to white mush and fluffing off daily. I’ve put a couple extra power heads in to help this and hang on filter for some mechanical filtration of the floating white scum coming off I’m the rocks that I clean couple times a day. Here is some pics of the rock I took today.
6FE4628C-08E1-4B23-94B5-800D1332DC2C.jpeg
492F3EF7-94F4-4016-B4F7-8CE97BB6624E.jpeg
497C2B50-1BE7-4877-9739-A693FB7E9481.jpeg
7B9A5103-8C71-4B3E-B86D-BC7A0C4E3D40.jpeg
EA8FCDB7-45C4-4FA2-80FF-2AC7A650239C.jpeg
CABC40BF-346E-4BE3-8457-7B3D33CBC29B.jpeg
1BDF7410-3F4D-485C-BCFC-B3074E094D1A.jpeg
17B04284-3AB0-46BE-8F3B-B6C637B81869.jpeg
59489158-41AF-4CE9-8ED5-0962B49DD2DC.jpeg
The good news is that a lot of stuff will grow back:)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
This rock is no doubt in the right direction - Looks good

BigRick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you aware of how this rock is gathered?

They dive for it, then throw it in an empty tub on a small drive boat where it is exposed to the air and sun, for hours.

Some die off IS expected. Die off makes a foul smell. To quote the great Daniel Cormier "There's levels to this ****"

I've successfully cured live rock from this supplier, and this lease no more than 6 months ago. It Does need blasted with flow. Grab some yourself and tell me I'm wrong.

You can consider the advice poor out of context and the next day. Doesn't make any difference to me. I stand by that with a wavemaker or twenty in with it, you aren't going to be able to chop up all of the pistol shrimp, crabs, and other life on it, because THAT'S what the specific comment was to.
Eeek when Dennis and I dove with Richard years ago we left all rock submerged in 55 gallon drums on the boat after brought back to surface. Sure maybe a minute or 2 in the air but not more then 5 and definetly not hours... thats definetly die off already.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So out of curiosity I wanted to know what my nitrates are at so I tested them today and I’m get a reading of about 10-12 nitrates on nyos test kit. Was wondering what you guys think would be a good reading?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back