Sitting at the airport waiting to pick up 200lbs of kp aquatics premium live rock how exciting !!!!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IMHO, It wasn't the water that was the issue as we barely transferred over 25% of the old water. It was the under sand sludge which again likely was not a measuring cup worth.

The same phenomenon has been seen time and time again by pulling sand out and reusing it without washing first. The organics quickly degrade and become toxic.

A lot of people have gotten away with it. A lot have gotten burned by it. Why that works, I have no idea.
True - the anaerobic 'sludge' is not good to toss into new anaerobic water - depending on the amount tossed in - and the volume of the new water

MPCReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime, used as a dechlorinator, will help with your tap water. I wouldn't recommend relying on Prime to remove (or detoxify) any other substance though.
Didn't take time to read all posts, but I was recommending dosing Prime along with regular water changes done often. https://www.seachem.com/prime.php
Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.05.57 PM.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Didn't take time to read all posts, but I was recommending dosing Prime along with regular water changes done often. https://www.seachem.com/prime.php
Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.05.57 PM.png
If you look at the links on this site there is an extreme question as to whether PRIME - works as an ammonia detoxifier. I long gave up against arguing against the people doing experiments. IMHO - There is a difference between in vitro and in vivo - it might work - I would not commit to using it here

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry guys long day at work still not home about 10 minutes away not looking forward to what I’m about to walk into. With that being said I did pick up some prime the thought is to use the prime to dechlorinate the tapwater so I can do larger water changes to try to rid the ammonia. With that being said now I have a second issue for anyone who read everything you would’ve read that I put 30 or 40 pounds into my main system well after testing ammonia today my main system has over three ppm now which is not good because I have a lot of money invested in that so while I was at work my wife removed all of those rocks from my main system and put them back in the hundred gallon container so all of the RODI water that I’ve been making for the past day for the rocks is now going to be used for my main system to bring the ammonia down leaving me with zero water left with no choice to now use tapwater and prime for the rock water changes at least for today

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry guys long day at work still not home about 10 minutes away not looking forward to what I’m about to walk into. With that being said I did pick up some prime the thought is to use the prime to dechlorinate the tapwater so I can do larger water changes to try to rid the ammonia. With that being said now I have a second issue for anyone who read everything you would’ve read that I put 30 or 40 pounds into my main system well after testing ammonia today my main system has over three ppm now which is not good because I have a lot of money invested in that so while I was at work my wife removed all of those rocks from my main system and put them back in the hundred gallon container so all of the RODI water that I’ve been making for the past day for the rocks is now going to be used for my main system to bring the ammonia down leaving me with zero water left with no choice to now use tapwater and prime for the rock water changes at least for today
Sorry to hear this. So - all of the 'bad rock' is out of your main tank? Question 1?
2. Are you sure your tests are accurate - and what is the pH in your main tank - and again so sorry to hear this

If the rocks are out - the quickest solution - is using a dechlorinator - (Prime unless there is copper - which I assume there is not) - and new salt water. Just do a massive water change if you believe your measures in your display tank IMHO

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are totally wrong - there are products that will 'help' remove ammonia from day 1
If you're referring to Prime and similar products, they don't remove anything (except chlorine)...
(If you're not referring to the ammonia "detoxifying" products ignore this post ;) )

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be exhausted!
I'm so sorry this is happening.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you're referring to Prime and similar products, they don't remove anything (except chlorine)...
(If you're not referring to the ammonia "detoxifying" products ignore this post ;) )
I was referring to bacterial products - not prime lol - I'm not going to re-dive into that
EDIT - I was referring to Prime as (in the post) as a dechloinator) i.e. don't wait for RODI - change water - unless you have chloramines.

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear this. So - all of the 'bad rock' is out of your main tank? Question 1?
2. Are you sure your tests are accurate - and what is the pH in your main tank - and again so sorry to hear this

If the rocks are out - the quickest solution - is using a dechlorinator - (Prime unless there is copper - which I assume there is not) - and new salt water. Just do a massive water change if you believe your measures in your display tank IMHO
Yes all the new rock is out of my main system.
so I was thinking same thing about test so when I got the prime I got an api ammonia test kit. New rock system is 4 and and main system was between 1-2 about 6-7 hours after rock removed. Ph on main system is 8.42 apex. So I did 150 gallon water change on main system and Hanna now reads .1 and .2 tested 2x. It should be 0 I’m guessing by morning. As far as new rock system I have 200 gallons of prime treated tap water and gunna do 100% water change cleaning the system and swishing all the rocks. Wrote putting back in the 100% new water

OP
OP
((FORDTECH))

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I cannot link you. I'm not a save for later guy. I'm a read all day and try to remember guy.

For the record, I dose straight ammonia to rock curing tanks and my anomia alert badges never change. Fun to have around, I question their efficacy as well. It would be amazing if they worked as described, especially in tenths of a PPM.
For what it’s worth I have 2 testers testing over 3-4 ppm and the ammonia badge in the tank shows .25 for past 2 days lol what garbage and for 15$ geez

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually says detoxifies ammonia which is kinda a good thing in this situation I think.
*IF* it actually does anything to convert ammonia to ammonium (that's the "detox"), the effect only lasts 24 hours and then the ammonia becomes toxic again.
And there is a big question mark as to whether or not it really does detoxify ammonia at all.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back