Six Line Wrasse bruise or sick?

vic91218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had this Six Line Wrasse for about 4 months and she’s been a beautiful addition. Starting about two days ago, my larger Davinci clownfish has unfortunately been acting very aggressive towards my smaller clown fish, which I’ve been told is relatively normal (the smaller guy is hiding out from being chased around the tank non stop, but is visible in the video) however I haven’t caught the female clown chasing any of my other fish. Today though, I noticed these new discolerations on my Six Line. I hope you can see them in the video. It seems too much a coincidence that the female clown acting up and this discoloration at the same time, but I’m relatively new to the hobby so I thought I better ask. Any suggestions would be appreciated. She’s acting completely normal and eats just fine as always.

Additional Info
Biocube 32 (11 months old)
Steve’s LED’s (introduced 3 days ago and at 30% acclimation)
Two Jebao SW-4 and one SW-2
In-take media basket with (filter flossPurigen, phosguard, and chemipure elite)

I’ve been using the Prodibio BioKit Reef for about 9 weeks every 15 days.

I change the water every two weeks using 4.4g Nutri SeaWater.

Tank parameters;
Amonnia 0
PH 8.4
Salinity 1.027
Temp 78.4

AA40C2C0-60BF-4F45-AFBD-81B26B05CFCB.jpeg 3641F29E-73C0-4766-BD68-C928156015A6.jpeg 1BC3D691-6EB7-4BC3-81C1-949B96B6DC78.jpeg 78FF64BF-41EC-4355-9027-EC3281B57469.jpeg

Last edited:

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

It looks like your six line has an infection. Do you have another tank you can setup as a hospital tank? any antibiotics on hand?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Seems bacterial as bacterial symptoms will include:
  • The disintegration of the fins, e.g., fin and tail rot.
  • Open sores on the sides of the body and near the fins.
  • Rapid breathing.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Abdominal swelling or bloating. This is usually a sign of a bladder infection, often a common problem with wrasses that burrow in the substrate.
isolation of infected fish and treatment with an antibiotic in a QT (quarantine) is important. Most antibiotics kill gram-negative bacteria and the biological nitrifying bacteria of an aquarium are also gram-negative, so best that you not treat the main tank but qt tank. Maracyn 2 will be best treatment

OP
OP
vic91218

vic91218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

It looks like your six line has an infection. Do you have another tank you can setup as a hospital tank? any antibiotics on hand?
Thank you for the welcome! :)

Seems bacterial as bacterial symptoms will include:
  • The disintegration of the fins, e.g., fin and tail rot.
  • Open sores on the sides of the body and near the fins.
  • Rapid breathing.
  • Loss of appetite.
  • Abdominal swelling or bloating. This is usually a sign of a bladder infection, often a common problem with wrasses that burrow in the substrate.
isolation of infected fish and treatment with an antibiotic in a QT (quarantine) is important. Most antibiotics kill gram-negative bacteria and the biological nitrifying bacteria of an aquarium are also gram-negative, so best that you not treat the main tank but qt tank. Maracyn 2 will be best treatment
Thank you both! I have a small 2 gallon that I’ve used for coral dips, etc. Would it work for this purpose? Would I need to just buy a small pump? I also have 5 gallon buckets of course.

I believe I have access to Seachem Paraguard, Focus and Metroplex. Though I am inexperienced with treating fish, and feel uncomfortable winging it. Wether to dip the Wrasse in paraguard, or set the small tank up with metroplex and feeding her metro with focus? Or all the above... I don’t want to do too much, and don’t want to do too little.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thank you for the welcome! :)

Thank you both! I have a small 2 gallon that I’ve used for coral dips, etc. Would it work for this purpose? Would I need to just buy a small pump? I also have 5 gallon buckets of course.

I believe I have access to Seachem Paraguard, Focus and Metroplex. Though I am inexperienced with treating fish, and feel uncomfortable winging it. Wether to dip the Wrasse in paraguard, or set the small tank up with metroplex and feeding her metro with focus? Or all the above... I don’t want to do too much, and don’t want to do too little.
You can do both and I trust paraguard although I trust formalin more. Dose at 75% of recommended paraguard
Aeration is a must and in a 2 gallon, pay attention to ammonia and nitrate levels

OP
OP
vic91218

vic91218

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do both and I trust paraguard although I trust formalin more. Dose at 75% of recommended paraguard
Aeration is a must and in a 2 gallon, pay attention to ammonia and nitrate levels
Hey thank you again Vetteguy, I really appreciate it. From your recommendations, I should dip the Wrasse for an hour at 75% recommended dipping dose. Set her up in my two gallon with display tank water and an air stone, and general dose with metroplex. Also feed with metroplex and focus, checking often for ammonia and nitrate levels. How long should I leave her in there?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back