Your experience with six line wrasse aggression?

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard probably most people say they had huge aggression issues with six lines, and a few claim they were model citizens. I would love to have one, but I'm wondering what circumstances you've had that resulted in aggression or peacefulness? Specifically tank size, other inhabitants, and also order that inhabitants were added in. Also did you have any problems with it attacking inverts, and if so which ones?

For me I would have no problem adding a six line last and acclimating it gradually, but I have relately peaceful fish that I don't want it messing with, but I'm not sure if simply adding it last is enough to keep aggression at bay, or if you have other suggestions.

My current fish are 2 ocalaris clownfish, an azure damsel fish (who is a model citizen besides occasionally wandering where he doesn't belong), and a royal gramma (who is peaceful unless the damsel comes anywhere near his rock which he does). I'm also looking at getting either a firefish goby, a diamond watchman goby, or a single green chromis.

Six lines are beautiful but I'm definitely still weighing if they're worth the risk.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You generally just want to avoid having other wrasses, or any other fish with similar body shape if possible. Adding it later is also good, which it seems you would be doing. Mine only sometimes bothers a saltwater molly. It doesn't even look twice at my clowns, and in all likelihood clowns would be happy to fight back!

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of them in different tanks. 1 of them I have had for over a year in same tank as fairy wrasse and has been a model citizen. The other I have only had for like 6 months and has not caused any issues so far with any other fish.

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You generally just want to avoid having other wrasses, or any other fish with similar body shape if possible. Adding it later is also good, which it seems you would be doing. Mine only sometimes bothers a saltwater molly. It doesn't even look twice at my clowns, and in all likelihood clowns would be happy to fight back!
Do you think an azure damsel would be close enough in body shape to pose a problem? I'm also wondering how much tank size plays a part in aggression, how big is your tank?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My display is roughly 70 gallons. I wouldn't worry about the sixline bothering a damsel, in fact I'd think the opposite would be more likely. Also keep in mind sixlines love lots of hiding places and caves, especially at least one good non-visible spot where they can sleep.

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 of them in different tanks. 1 of them I have had for over a year in same tank as fairy wrasse and has been a model citizen. The other I have only had for like 6 months and has not caused any issues so far with any other fish.
That's good to hear you've had success with them! How large are those tanks, and what other fish did you have in there that they left alone?

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think an azure damsel would be close enough in body shape to pose a problem? I'm also wondering how much tank size plays a part in aggression, how big is your tank?
Tank size does play a big part in aggression issues. A damsel would not be close to the same body type and I would consider to be safe with a 6-line. Damsels can hold their own and in fact are just as likely if not more so to become aggressive than the 6 line.

OP
OP
taylormaximus

taylormaximus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m also looking to add a six line down the road so i’m following to get info but you didn’t mention your tank size? If it’s cramped he might be more territorial than if he has space
Yeah I've got a pretty small tank, around 35 gallons, but I've got quite a lot for hiding space and so far have been very lucky with the temperament of my fish.

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The one with a 6 line for over a year is a 40g. The other is a 220g.
Tank mates probably also play a big part with agression. I don't know your stocking but I can't imagine a six line would be chasing after a tang or something similar in size lol

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank mates probably also play a big part with agression. I don't know your stocking but I can't imagine a six line would be chasing after a tang or something similar in size lol
The tank mates in my 40g are all fairy wrasee so only a little larger than a 6 line, clownfish, chromis, molly, yellow watchman, Tomini Tang and green mandarin. Of those the mandarin watchman and 6-line would all be direct competitors for feeding but I don't have any issues with them. The fairies also compete for food. But I also feed that tank well and include frozen pods in each feeding and keep a good population of pods that I dose phyto for.

Raph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I've got a pretty small tank, around 35 gallons, but I've got quite a lot for hiding space and so far have been very lucky with the temperament of my fish.
Well, personally I would add the watchman goby since he’s a bottom fish but I think that you will have to decide if you want a firefish or a sixline because both of them won't do it ( from my perspective at least). They’re both swimming and hiding in the same places and the firefish is too shy and that's where you'll get aggression. Of course it might work but I hate fish aggression and I don’t want to deal with it , so again, it's my take on this. Also for a 35 g it will be crowed after these additions so take your time because it's probably the last fish you'll add to your tank.

cdnco2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is a model citizen then it’s still young. Once they mature they are nasty. Of course there will be one in a million that might not. If you ever plan on other wrasse then six line is definitely a no
You can't say "All" nor even "1 in a million". The one in my 40 is over a year and half old and I have a friend who has a massive chonker of a 6 line (5+ years old) who does not bother any fish for him either.

CRABDADDY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my six line wrasse in my 40g for about a year and a half to two years now. He had minor aggression issues when I added my assessor basslet, but after a few weeks he left him alone. Other than that he's been well behaved. You're probably just rolling the dice on these guys. Many people report aggression issues, while others have no problem. You could always return an aggressive fish to the store if it doesn't work out, assuming your LFS will accommodate that.

mattdg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have had six line wrasses in dozens of aquariums over the last 20 years. They have always behaved perfectly. I would never start a reef without one. It's so interesting to me, that they are considered problematic. Clownfish on the other hand...

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back