Six Line Wrasse Tank Mates?

JD1188

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 37 gallon tank that I have been thinking of setting up as a either a FOWLR tank or reef tank. I would like to have a Six Line Wrasse at some point, but know they have a tendency to be more aggressive and need to be added in last.

With that in mind, I am wondering how in that size tank it would do with some Azure Damselfish? Both are territorial/semi-aggressive. Too small of a tank to house both? If it is fine to combine both in this tank, who should go in last or should they be added at the same time?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure when this runt-sized fish earned such a terrifying reputation. It went in first in my tank, damsels after - and it gets along with everything (all 30 other fish). You name it - I've probably got it (or a variant) cohabitating with the sixline.

OP
OP
J

JD1188

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure when this runt-sized fish earned such a terrifying reputation. It went in first in my tank, damsels after - and it gets along with everything (all 30 other fish). You name it - I've probably got it (or a variant) cohabitating with the sixline.
Good to know! Info I have seen on them has been pretty evenly split, so I thought I would ask just in case. I appreciate the input!

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the total opposite, the sixlines are terrors! Had to catch one in my 120g and return to the LFS. It was intolerant to ALL other wrasses. Upside it didn't fight about capture, went right into the fish trap.

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so far mine is getting along fine with others..had him for over a year, he actually is skimmish around larger fish and runs and hides alot..

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm the total opposite, the sixlines are terrors! Had to catch one in my 120g and return to the LFS. It was intolerant to ALL other wrasses. Upside it didn't fight about capture, went right into the fish trap.
When you say "terror", can you elaborate? Like chasing and killing terror?

bpbonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sixline gets along with my Yellow Coris Wrasse but any other Wrasse I introduce it will attack with extreme prejudice, I regret the Sixline Wrasse at this point.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you say "terror", can you elaborate? Like chasing and killing terror?
As in chasing new additions and outright attacking (headbutting) any other wrasses. I had him in a 50g, upgraded to a 120g and he was ok for about 6 months. Light switch flipped and any new additions he would generally harass non stop, new wrasses he would pester and headbutt them to death. I had lost a smaller lunate fairy wrasse & a red fin fairy wrasse.

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the current 6 line for 2 years, was added last, but I had another one before that, (jumped out), and never had any problems or aggression with any of them. But I do not have any other wrasse. I have chromis, clowns, damsel, foxface, hippo tang and eibli angel. Tank is 125G.
In a previous tank, I had firefish, clowns and damsel and not agression problems either. My damsel was more of a problem.

Boonsiew830

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had my pair for about 4 months now and would say I’m pretty lucky. Made sure I had them in an acclimation box for about a month before introducing them. I currently have about 5 other wrasses and they don’t bother them at all. That said, they were fighting in the beginning for about a week after they were released. Only advice I would give is 1. Acclimation box and 2. Last fish/wrasse to introduce.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tailspot blenny, a banggai Cardinal, and a pinkbar/aurora goby with my sixline, they get along great. I had a couple firefish, and the sixline chased them a little bit for the first day, but after that they were cool (firefish have since moved on to the reef in the sky).

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this, but one thing. they are not super agro, but can get really territorial with other wrasse

A good, more wrasse friendly sub for a sixline is a neon/sharknose goby.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I had one, also, and he was the perfect model citizen!
He disappeared one day, I think my Niger trigger ate him...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back