Six line Wrasse with clowns? Bad idea?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be a bad idea to put a six line with a pair of clowns in a 20 high?
20 high possibly. I have a sixline with a mated pair of o. Clowns in my 40 breeder with no issues.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clowns are they (ie Occ, Percula, Maroon, Cinamon, etc.) you will definitely want a clown that will keep that 6 line in check.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clowns are they (ie Occ, Percula, Maroon, Cinamon, etc.) you will definitely want a clown that will keep that 6 line in check.
Which would you recommend, I dont have any fish in the tank. Just a cleaner shrimp. I do want a pair of clowns, but if it can't be done with the six line then I'll find some other fish.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, and maybe a firefish goby or some sort of smaller goby :)

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns establish themselves in the tank before the sixline is introduced I dont think you will have a problem.

I have a pair of clowns with a sixline and no problems. The clowns can be quite nasty themselves.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, and maybe a firefish goby or some sort of smaller goby :)
The goby that catches my attention is the yellow clown goby. I've looked everywhere nearby LFS but not much variety in terms of fish that i like. Im not much of a fan of the fire fish.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the clowns establish themselves in the tank before the sixline is introduced I dont think you will have a problem.

I have a pair of clowns with a sixline and no problems. The clowns can be quite nasty themselves.
What size its the tank? Do you have tall rocks to make cover areas for them?

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's sweet, what tank size?

Three different six lines in three different setups. (29g biocube, 29g standard and 90 gallon)
Six line arch enemy in my 90g was royal gramma

Edit: Oh forgot my fourth sixline in 110g corner tank. no issues with angels, tangs and cardinals

Justfebreezeit

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 20 gal nuvo.

Honestly i've found the sixline benefits more from the extra rockwork for grazing. The clowns kind of just hang around some dragons breath algae I have out in the open.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three different six lines in three different setups. (29g biocube, 29g standard and 90 gallon)
Six line arch enemy in my 90g was royal gramma
I've also considered a Royal Gramma, just don't know if they are shy.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
its a 20 gal nuvo.

Honestly i've found the sixline benefits more from the extra rockwork for grazing. The clowns kind of just hang around some dragons breath algae I have out in the open.
Got it, I'll have to see more opinions from other people, thanks for the info.

thunderdood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had my 120g tank years ago I added a 6 Line and everything was good for a month or so then it started bullying my clowns and cleaner shrimp that had been in the tank for several years. The clowns were only safe in the RBTA. It seemed out of nowhere a switch was flipped for total aggression. That 6 Line was probably the one bad apple out of the bunch and I won't try that again as there are many other options. Thats my $0.02.

OP
OP
Antonio.dejesus

Antonio.dejesus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the info, I'll go with the Royal Gramma since it is easier for me to find in Puerto Rico plus I really like the colors.

liveround69

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line in a 37 column with 2 breeding Maroon clowns and a Melanurus Wrasse. No problems except the female Maroon hates the Melanurus wrasse and chases him behind the rock work all day long. Everyone else is ok with the situation.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a six line in a 37 column with 2 breeding Maroon clowns and a Melanurus Wrasse. No problems except the female Maroon hates the Melanurus wrasse and chases him behind the rock work all day long. Everyone else is ok with the situation.

Maroons are second only to the dreaded Tomato Clown in terms of aggression. How big is your Mel Wrasse?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back