Size up or down for t5 hybrid?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kiiyo
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Kiiyo

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 1, 2021
Messages
261
Reaction score
137
Location
California
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Currently running an ap9x on my 30x24 tank and wanting to upgrade to a t5 hybrid setup. Should I go with a 24" or 36" fixture?
 
I'd go with a 24" for looks personally, but I'd consider adding an extra bulb (or 2) to increase the light output since it will be lower wattage overall.

If you're not concerned with the light hanging over the edge of the tank and extra 3" per side, the 36" will work but you'll likely have extra light spill from.the additional length.
 
I'd go with a 24" for looks personally, but I'd consider adding an extra bulb (or 2) to increase the light output since it will be lower wattage overall.

If you're not concerned with the light hanging over the edge of the tank and extra 3" per side, the 36" will work but you'll likely have extra light spill from.the additional length.
Yeah that's what I figured, the 36 would give more coverage but idk how I feel about 3 inches on either side just spilling over.

The fixture is 4 bulbs, what do you mean by adding a bulb or 2?
 
Yeah that's what I figured, the 36 would give more coverage but idk how I feel about 3 inches on either side just spilling over.

The fixture is 4 bulbs, what do you mean by adding a bulb or 2?
Are you going full T5 or adding the T5s to your existing for supplemental lighting. If you're going full T5, the difference in watts between a 36" and a 24" would make me consider adding an extra 2 bulbs - going with a 5 or 6 bulb instead of a 4 bulb.
 
Are you going full T5 or adding the T5s to your existing for supplemental lighting. If you're going full T5, the difference in watts between a 36" and a 24" would make me consider adding an extra 2 bulbs - going with a 5 or 6 bulb instead of a 4 bulb.
I was planning to supplement my kessil. Ahh I see what you're saying about the bulbs now.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new