Skimate smells like parfume/flowers?

Should skimate smell bad?

  • Yes

    Votes: 18 90.0%
  • No

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Smell doesn’t matter

    Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Not sure

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    20
Recently, my skimmate has had very little odor and when it does, it's more "earthy" than anything. I do a relatively dry skim so it's pretty concentrated... Used to have the typical sewage smell.

Any idea if this change indicates a problem?
 
Just a random question and i’m not sure if this is a cause of concern but one of my tank’s skimate smells like parfume. It’s been smelling like this since day 1. Once in awhile i do get the normal sewage smelling skimmate though. It is a dry skimming bubble magus in 10 month old tank.

I first noticed it when i started the tank and i opened the sump cabinet. It smelt like flowers, decided to search where it was coming from and found out its the skimmer. I was very concerned as i thought maybe some chemical accidentally went in the tank. But after several changes it didn’t change so i decided to leave it. Wondering what skimate should actually smell like?
I’ve made similar posts where my skimmate has a odd smell similar to cleaners or perfume .

weird
 
Hi!
Recently my aquarium's smell is changed too. It’s been smelling like coffee with chocolate 2 week.
Before that, the tank smelled like it should, very bad...So interesting, why is it changed...
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new