• Not sure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a random question and i’m not sure if this is a cause of concern but one of my tank’s skimate smells like parfume. It’s been smelling like this since day 1. Once in awhile i do get the normal sewage smelling skimmate though. It is a dry skimming bubble magus in 10 month old tank.

I first noticed it when i started the tank and i opened the sump cabinet. It smelt like flowers, decided to search where it was coming from and found out its the skimmer. I was very concerned as i thought maybe some chemical accidentally went in the tank. But after several changes it didn’t change so i decided to leave it. Wondering what skimate should actually smell like?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should smell like fish poop and decomposing organic matter, in other words, closer to a sewer than to perfume. I have no idea why your skimmer would smell like that unless you're washing the cup in the dishwasher or something with perfumed detergents.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should smell like fish poop and decomposing organic matter, in other words, closer to a sewer than to perfume. I have no idea why your skimmer would smell like that unless you're washing the cup in the dishwasher or something with perfumed detergents.
it really is weird since none of my other skimmers smell like this. I do not wash it with any kind of soap, i usually clean it with water and a sponge (used only for cleaning skimmers). no chemicals, soaps, sprays, ect are allowed in the room the tank is in so it really is bizarre.

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it really is weird since none of my other skimmers smell like this. I do not wash it with any kind of soap, i usually clean it with water and a sponge (used only for cleaning skimmers). no chemicals, soaps, sprays, ect are allowed in the room the tank is in so it really is bizarre.
Are there are air fresheners in the room, or adjacent rooms? Central air in the house?

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank near a bath where people get dressed everyday? The skimmer is concentrating something from the air.
What about a laundry room?

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank near a bath where people get dressed everyday? The skimmer is concentrating something from the air.
^This is a good point that I didn't consider. If you have an airline run outside for fresh oxygen to keep your pH stable, is it possibly near the dryer exhaust?

ED3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a random question and i’m not sure if this is a cause of concern but one of my tank’s skimate smells like parfume. It’s been smelling like this since day 1. Once in awhile i do get the normal sewage smelling skimmate though. It is a dry skimming bubble magus in 10 month old tank.

I first noticed it when i started the tank and i opened the sump cabinet. It smelt like flowers, decided to search where it was coming from and found out its the skimmer. I was very concerned as i thought maybe some chemical accidentally went in the tank. But after several changes it didn’t change so i decided to leave it. Wondering what skimate should actually smell like?
You haven't noticed any of your readings being off, right? That smell can be a biproduct of fermentation.

flagg37

Custom stair builder - TreeofLifeStairs.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have always smelled like sewer. So before I drink I put nose plugs in’s. Still tastes like crap
This is the only responsible way of disposing of skimmate. It’s also one of the few indicators of a pro reefer.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there are air fresheners in the room, or adjacent rooms? Central air in the house?
no air fresheners allowed in the whole house. The ac in this room is only connected to a bedroom ac that no chemicals are sprayed.
^This is a good point that I didn't consider. If you have an airline run outside for fresh oxygen to keep your pH stable, is it possibly near the dryer exhaust?
i open the door to the outside for fresh air the only thing outside is the garden and an aviary which of course no chemicals are allowed around there since birds have such sensitive respiratory systems.
there is a bathroom but it's never used, only used for the RO/DI system. i was thinking something from the air. The laundry room is in a whole other structure not connected to the house.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you had Covid recently?

I think your sniffer may be broke.
i test often, negative. tried smelling skimate from other tanks and it still smelt horrible. This one, you can put your nose right up to it and it will still smell pleasent. normal skimmate colour.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You haven't noticed any of your readings being off, right? That smell can be a biproduct of fermentation.
yep, nothing. even with up and downs of the tank when it was still new, its been like that.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairspray being used in the House? My Daughters were on a Hairspray kick for a while. They finally had to quit when a Sleep over sent me to the ER. I can get Asthma, but really need to be pushed very hard, so it’s extremely rare.

OP
OP
Diveks

Diveks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hairspray being used in the House? My Daughters were on a Hairspray kick for a while. They finally had to quit when a Sleep over sent me to the ER. I can get Asthma, but really need to be pushed very hard, so it’s extremely rare.
im pretty sensitive to smells and there are birds in some rooms of the house. even fumes from non stick pans are not good for birds respiratory systems so all kinds of sprays are not allowed.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back