Skimmate wet or drier

  • Thread starter Thread starter rogerrgr
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

rogerrgr

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 1, 2010
Messages
206
Reaction score
59
Location
Barberton, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any difference between adjusting your skimmer to collect more and run a little wetter vs running a little thicker and darker?
I have been running mine on the little thicker and darker side and cleaning it every few days. I've noticed that it gets the build up in the collection cup neck and was wondering if this was effecting the foam making it into the collection cup. I still get a good amount in there but was wondering if I would actually remove more stuff if it was thinner? And if I go too think, then it seems prone to overflowing the cup. Thanks!
 
I tend to skim dark. The reason is I want some of the stuff in the water. With wet skimming you can start to pull out more of the good stuff with it
 
I use to dry skim but I went to wet skimming and noticed my tank looks better (my sand cleared up). Whether it's actually any better for my tank, who knows. I have mostly GPS Leathers and mushrooms with fish. Maybe with different types of corals one way might be better than the other.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new