Skimmer Auto Shut Off?

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pondering how to do an auto shut-off on my skimmer, so that when the cup is nearly full, it turns off. I know that I could use this: https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-level-security-autoaqua.html , however I use reef-pi as my controller/monitor and this solution would provide no feedback to reef-pi that the skimmer was turned off.

I suppose the real discussion would be a reliable way to detect it - optical sensors could easily give false positives if they get "crudded up" by the skimmate. Float switches could get locked up by the stuff too...

Has anyone here found a simple, reliable way to automatically kill power to your skimmer when the cup is full? Ideally, I'm not looking for a proprietary solution (ie, nothing that's Apex-only).

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Box, and I believe maybe a couple of other brands of skimmers use floats in the collection cup. Mine shuts the skimmer down and sounds an alarm. It works very well... although the alarm is kind of high pitched which some of us old folks who are hard of hearing have trouble with. But my wife lets me know pretty quickly! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

OP
OP
dmolavi

dmolavi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coral Box, and I believe maybe a couple of other brands of skimmers use floats in the collection cup. Mine shuts the skimmer down and sounds an alarm. It works very well... although the alarm is kind of high pitched which some of us old folks who are hard of hearing have trouble with. But my wife lets me know pretty quickly! ;Hilarious;Hilarious;Hilarious

do you ever have a problem with the float getting 'gummed up'? I have an existing skimmer, so this would be a retrofit.

I've also found the pressure switch at Avast's site, but there is no info on how it works, etc...

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent question. I had a float switch for my ATO and it got gummed up all the time. So I went to an optical sensor and it still needs occasional cleaning, it's far less often than the float was. However, in the skimmer cap, the float is only very rarely in the water. And the skimmer cap (with the float) gets cleaned every month or so anyway. In 2 years I've had this skimmer, I've never had an issue. Well... when I take off the cap and lay it upside down on some surface above the sump and the float slides up (upside down) and the alarm goes off. ;Hilarious

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also put the same link in the main reef-pi thread.

I think this may be what you are looking for to help your design.

EddieM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a float switch (uxcell Liquid Level Sensor DC100V Fish Tank Water Float Switch, PP Plastic, 75mm, M10x1.5mm) connected to a breakout box on my Apex. I use waterproof quick disconnects which allow me to fully remove the cap and switch and clean it when I empty the skimmer cup. I've had it running for a couple of years now with no issues.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back